What's new

Parrent control without disabling NAT Acceleration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lepa71

I'm trying to enable Parental control and I believe by design it disables NAT Acceleration. While NAT Acceleration is disabled my connection speed drops from 235Mbs down to 175. I don't know if the speed drop what is expected. That would be question #1. Question #2 is. Can I do the parental control and keep NAT Acceleration on?

Thanks

I'm trying to enable Parental control and I believe by design it disables NAT Acceleration. While NAT Acceleration is disabled my connection speed drops from 235Mbs down to 175. I don't know if the speed drop what is expected. That would be question #1. Question #2 is. Can I do the parental control and keep NAT Acceleration on?

Thanks
Can't comment on whether you can keep NAT acceleration on with parental controls (though I suspect the answer is no) but from a speed perspective, yes typically there will be a drop although it depends on the router setup. My AC88U maxes out at 250-300meg without NAT acceleration.

What router, firmware, add-ons etc are you using?

I cannot even use Parental Control on AX86u as it screws up video conferencing badly... :(

I think it is my QoS. I disabled it and enabled parental time control and get full speed.
Is there a problem with having both enabled?

I really don't want to reset my router.

I think I also found an issue with assigned icons to devices. It does not persist.

Anyone?

I have AC68U.

I have one up and running RT-AC1900P, later AC68U variant. Adaptive QoS and Parental Controls (Web and Apps Filters) do not disable NAT acceleration. Not sure about Time Scheduling. Is this what you are after? It only says "Please disable NAT acceleration for more precise scheduling control".

Time scheduling recommends disabling NAT acceleration because otherwise existing connections may be cached by the CTF module, bypassing the time schedule.

This is what I understand - recommends, but it doesn't disable it automatically. I'm not sure what Parental Controls @lepa71 needs. Web and Apps Filters works well with CTF enabled and I don't see speed reduction.

Web and Apps Filters works well with CTF enabled and I don't see speed reduction.
That's because it uses the Trend Micro DPI engine, which is able to work alongside NAT acceleration. Time Scheduling however is implemented at the iptables level, which is partly bypassed by CTF.

NAT acceleration has two stages. Auto and disable. Does it mean that NAT acceleration is on when it says Auto and time control is on?

It seems that my problem is with having both time control and Adaptive QoS on. This is only when my speed degrades.
@RMerlin Is that normal?

It stays enabled. The router did not reboot. Here you go with both Web & Apps Filters + Time Scheduling enabled:

Untitled_44.png

What RMerlin says above though is Time Scheduling is bypassed by CTF. If you want it to be accurate, you have to disable HW acceleration.

so that make Parental control Time Scheduling pretty much useless - If I enable it, then nobody can use video calls (including my work Teams calls)... very disappointing... really want to limit how long kids have internet access on their devices... :(

Have you tried with Asuswrt stock firmware? It's newer than current Merlin. If the issue is still there, report it to Asus. I'm pretty sure RMerlin has nothing to do with Parental Controls, but the Administration, Feedback page exists only in Asuswrt. Reset the router for cleaner test results.

It stays enabled. The router did not reboot. Here you go with both Web & Apps Filters + Time Scheduling enabled:

View attachment 35282

What RMerlin says above though is Time Scheduling is bypassed by CTF. If you want it to be accurate, you have to disable HW acceleration.
I understand what you are saying but I'm saying that if both are activated then I have degradation in speed.
I understand the warning but I think with NAT Acceleration or without it, the AC68U should be able to handle my 200/5(230/6 real numbers) speed. I did additional testing and if I have adaptive QoS on and NAT Acceleration disabled I can still get 230/6 Mbps. If I add time parental control then it drops speed to 145/6 Mbps.
That is the question.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!