What's new

Scribe Parsing other syslog-ng sources

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elorimer

Part of the Furniture
I thought I would record this in case it helps someone (probably future-me).

I have other devices that send to my AX88U as a remote log server. Those include other Asus routers running Asus-Merlin, and they include some devices running syslog-ng (two TrueNAS servers). I've long puzzled why messages sent by syslog-ng end up looking like this:
Code:
Jan 30 00:10:00 truenas-main 1 2023-01-30T00:10:00.003185-05:00 truenas-main.local /usr/sbin/cron 22084 - - (root) CMD (/usr/libexec/atrun)
You can see the normal time stamp, the host and then the full message including the original time stamp.

I found, in order to reformat these messages, I had to invoke the default parser explicitly, break the message apart, and put it back together:
Code:
     parser {
                syslog-parser();
            };
template("${R_DATE} ${HOST} ${PROGRAM} ${MESSAGE}\n")
Then I get a more familiar message:
Code:
Feb 26 01:05:00 truenas-main.local /usr/sbin/cron 75743 - - (root) CMD (/usr/libexec/atrun)

I thought I would record this in case it helps someone (probably future-me).

I have other devices that send to my AX88U as a remote log server. Those include other Asus routers running Asus-Merlin, and they include some devices running syslog-ng (two TrueNAS servers). I've long puzzled why messages sent by syslog-ng end up looking like this:
Code:
Jan 30 00:10:00 truenas-main 1 2023-01-30T00:10:00.003185-05:00 truenas-main.local /usr/sbin/cron 22084 - - (root) CMD (/usr/libexec/atrun)
You can see the normal time stamp, the host and then the full message including the original time stamp.

I found, in order to reformat these messages, I had to invoke the default parser explicitly, break the message apart, and put it back together:
Code:
     parser {
                syslog-parser();
            };
template("${R_DATE} ${HOST} ${PROGRAM} ${MESSAGE}\n")
Then I get a more familiar message:
Code:
Feb 26 01:05:00 truenas-main.local /usr/sbin/cron 75743 - - (root) CMD (/usr/libexec/atrun)

Hi elorimer

I get this message after applying the latest entware update. Any ideas - please. Thanks

@RT-AX86U-AC30:/tmp/home/root# syslog-ng.conf version check ...Error opening plugin module; module='http', error='libssl.so.1.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32'

There are at least two other threads discussing this, active as of only a few hours ago. Good answers to both your posts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!