What's new

passthru one LAN port to ISP Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ajeesh_m

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,
I have a setup like this at my home. Some ISP provided Wifi Router. I connected one LAN port of it to the WAN port of my ASUS AX88u Router. All my wired and wireless devices are connected to my ASUS router (192.168.100/24) while the ISP router DHCP scope is 192.168.1/24.
My Desktop PC is connected to one of the LAN ports on the ASUS router. I was wondering if there is a way to assign that LAN port to directly passthru to the ISP router for internet access - So that I can eliminate the double NAT issues for online gaming etc - Unless the double NAT is not much of a problem.
Thanks in advace,
Ajeesh.

1681117964767.png

Do you really need the ISP router? If it is a modem/router can you put it in bridge mode?

Looks like it's a DSL modem plus router. So I can't get rid of it. And I searched about bridged mode for this device and it does not have it. I used to have a Nokia modem plus router in India which was from Airtel ISP. I had set it to bridged mode and I was happy with that.

I was wondering if there is a way to assign that LAN port to directly passthru to the ISP router for internet access
No, not unless it's a feature of the ISP router and the ISP.

So that I can eliminate the double NAT issues for online gaming etc - Unless the double NAT is not much of a problem.
Double NAT isn't usually a problem unless you need to allow remote access from the the internet. In which case forward all of the ports from the ISP router to the Asus. This is usually done by putting the Asus' WAN IP address (192.168.1.?) in the "DMZ" of the ISP router.

As Colin said double NAT isn't a problem for most people and the latency it introduces into your network is nano seconds at the most.

The biggest issue with being double NATed is that if you have issues with your network tech support will try to blame it on the double NAT since it seems to be a popular misconception is an issue to be avoided at all costs.

I really appreciate you guys taking time to explain. So I understand that double nat won't be a problem for me at all. Once again, thank you very much. I will see if I can mark this thread as closed.