What's new

Patch Panel Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dredd705

New Around Here
Greetings,

I have been reading it seems nonstop trying to figure something that should be simple out. However, I believe I am over thinking this.

I moved into a home that was already built, so I did not have any input on wiring. The house does have structured wiring which terminates in the laundry room inside a box in the wall. When I moved in I noticed most rooms had an rj45 wall plug labeled CAT5e. GREAT I thought. However, who ever wired this house had no freaking clue.

The patch panel used was one for telephones. I then removed the rj45 wall plates, and looked at the terminated wires. I have no freaking clue what wiring standard was used. First, nothing matched, everyone was different, etc.

So, I started over. At least the house is wired. I bought a cables to go 8 port cat5e patch panel.
http://www.cablestogo.com/product/37012/8-port-cat5e-patch-panel

I cut the wires from the telephone panel, and said, ok, I'll patch one, test it, and make sure I am doing it correct.

Here is where I am overthinking and just can't seem to get it right. The patch panel has the Brown Green Orange Blue wiring. Which is nothing like T568A or B. Is the patch panel color code considered straight through?

My setup is going to be like this....

....................Cable TV Box
................../
Outside > (split)
.................\
...................Cable Modem > router > switch > patch panel > wall cables > wall plate > switch > device

I guess I am confused in the different color schemes for the wires for patch panels and then the rj45 connections. Should I terminate the rj45 plugs the same exact way as the patch panel it is coming from and not the T568A? I am assuming this makes a straight through connection?

I am using store bought patch cables to go from cable modem to the router, to the switch, to the patch panel. The patch panel has rj45 connections as well as the 110 punch downs. So from the switch to rj45 connection in patch panel, to the 110 punch down into the wall, back into an rj45 connector on the wall plate. Then another store bought patch cables from the wall plate to switch and from switch to devices.

How do I terminate the rj45 on the wall plate that is coming from the patch panel?

I think I typed way too much here. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't afford to mess up as I only have so much wire to work with already in the house.

Thank you.

It's not clear from the photograph on that website and I can't find an exact match...;) but this model looks to be functionally the same:

http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/www/pdfs/hpp10081.pdf
(Despite this document continually referring to T568B the diagrams are for T568A so I'd double check how your patch panel is actually wired!)

Each of the 4 coloured 110 punch down blocks should be a pair: Brown, Brown/White, Green, Green/White, etc. From there it should be fairly obvious how to connect the cables.

Last edited:
It's not clear from the photograph on that website and I can't find an exact match...;) but this model looks to be functionally the same:

http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/www/pdfs/hpp10081.pdf
(Despite this document continually referring to T568B the diagrams are for T568A so I'd double check how your patch panel is actually wired!)

Each of the 4 coloured 110 punch down blocks should be a pair: Brown, Brown/White, Green, Green/White, etc. From there it should be fairly obvious how to connect the cables.

Please forgive me, if it was obvious I wouldn't be asking. I have that paperwork and I just don't understand it. I am new to all this language.

Yes, I wired the patch panel as you say, paired in the order the documents say and illustrated on patch panel. However, that is just one end of cable. That cable then runs through the house and ends in a rj45 connector in a wall plate in the wall. That rj45 end, do I wire it in the same pattern as the end in the patch panel, in essence creating a straight through connection?

Or does the rj45 end get wired as a t568a? That would then not match the patch panel end.

Thank you for your time and help with this.

OK I think I see you confusion.

Your objective is to create a straight-through connection from the RJ45 socket on a wall plate to the RJ45 socket on the patch panel. Each RJ45 socket should be wired as T568A or T568B, either will work but the sockets at each end of a cable must be wired the same.

Where your confusion comes from I think is the 110 punch down block. The order the 110 connectors (and wires) are laid out in is not the same as the pins on the RJ45 socket below it. It is just arranged like that to make it easier for us humans to get the wires in the correct order. So, the Blue/White wire from the 110 block will be connected to pin 5 (when viewed from the front) of the RJ45 socket below it. Similarly the Blue wire will trace through to pin 4 on the socket.

If the panel is setup as T568A the Orange/White wire will go to pin 3. If it is setup as T568B the Orange/White wire will go to pin 1 instead. See here.

Having determined how your patch panel is wired up (T568A or T568B) either by visually tracing the connections from the 110 block to a socket below it, using a multi-meter or trusting the documentation, you now know which wiring scheme you should use for the wall plates in the other rooms.

Last edited: