1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

PCE-AC88 with AC86U router only 3 spatial streams (1300/1300 max)

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by winters2k1, May 25, 2020.

1. winters2k1

winters2k1 New Around Here

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out why my PCE-AC88 is only showing 3 spatial streams when connected to my AC86U router? Maxing out at 1300/1300 speed. I have latest windows 10 drivers along with Merlin 384.17 FW on router. Showing a solid -40dbm connection to the router

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

Thinking out loud...

My 2x86U AiMesh 5.0 4x4 wireless backhaul can get closer to 2100 over a short distance. I don't configure anything special to enable 4 streams, but maybe AiMesh does.

If you assume the router is ok...

Maybe you can detect a failed 88U stream/antenna by disabling one antenna at a time. Disabling the failed stream/antenna might show no speed change. Cycle power and try again for repeat findings.

Frankly, I'm not sure if this is valid troubleshooting... but maybe it will reveal a clue.

OE

3. winters2k1

It has to be something on my router side as my girlfriend has the exact same PCE-AC88U adapter and shes getting the same issue of only showing 3 spatial streams at 1300/1300

4. OzarkEdge

That makes sense. How do you determine 3 streams vs 4 streams throttled somewhere?

Have you tried resetting the router and configuring it minimally to test?

OE

5. winters2k1

I can see it under my system log/wireless log. I have attached a screenshot of the info. I don't think I ever did a speed test or looked around at my connection on my routers stock firmware. I immediately switched over to Merlin. Will have to test stock firmware at some point but wouldn't think Merlin would cause this issue

Attached Files:

6. whitey019

whitey019 Regular Contributor

How do you distinguish the difference between losing a stream or dropping to 64-QAM?

7. winters2k1

I am just going off of the information from my wireless log showing only 3 streams connected, not sure how to tell if the QAM is dropping

8. whitey019

Sorry, missed that part of your message. My PCE-AC88/RT-AC86U combo says 4(ac) on the wireless log, but the link rate is still limited to 1300/1300 at best.

9. winters2k1

I am guessing i have a hardware issue and one of the streams is borked

10. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Senior Member

Do you have to have NitroQAM modulation enabled to achieve a higher link rate with this hardware?

11. whitey019

On the router yes, but I can't seem to find the setting on the PCE-AC88U properties.

12. winters2k1

So i just got time to flash back to stock firmware and check and low and behold the router is now showing 4 streams! For some reason the Merlin firmware seems to have been the issue? Contemplating flashing back to merlin just to see if it drops back to 3 streams

13. OzarkEdge

That's the spirit! :)

OE

14. whitey019

I'm using Merlin's 384.17 and get 4 streams.

L&LD likes this.
  15. indark

indark Senior Member

you might just need to reboot it. it sometimes will cache and report weird stuff utill you reboot.