What's new

Per port DNS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bazinga

New Around Here
I have a network which needs 3 separate DNS settings as we use two smartdns services and isp settings. For the time being this has been half accomplished with two routers the isp supplied "192.168.1.x one and a second attached to it 192.168.2.x but I need to add the third dns and a NAS that is accessible from all three networks so figured that a "Netgear GS108T-200" would probably be better for this with vlans.

Can the GS108T-200 act as a dhcp server for each vlan? and can each vlan have access to a NAS that is connected as well.

Lots of routers with static routes seems over complicated and I don't want to have configure each machine as some of the devices on the network have settings that can't be edited so I'm looking for the simplest way to achieve DNS on a per port basis.

Thanks, sorry it's early might not have explained it in the best fashion.

The GS108T-200 cannot act as a DHCP server for multiple VLANs. You would need to put a DHCP server in each VLAN by assigning a port to that VLAN, and plug a server into that port, or use DHCP relay to have your common DHCP server dish out different scopes per VLAN.

I might suggest the Zywall USG 20/50/100 series of devices - this is a firewall/router that I know lets you make a different DHCP pool (and define the DNS servers therein) for up to 4 different physical ports (interfaces), and many, many more VLANs - very flexible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!