What's new

Perfect antenna placement.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

W4RH34D

Regular Contributor
I was ready to go off on Asus for the wireless being so intermittent but I decided to think that their stuff is good and surely I need to dig a little deeper.

Anyway, I realized we were knocking the antennas around all the time.

Here is the arrangement that works best for us.
jK2JquN.jpg

Are you on a single story building?

If so - the ideal solution would be like this -- " | | | | " if the clients are 11ac/11n - goes to the path thing, but sometimes the " \ | | / " can work, as this can generate some multipath, which MIMO is ok with and actually prefers...

But each case is different - try both and see what works best..

Are you on a single story building?

If so - the ideal solution would be like this -- " | | | | " if the clients are 11ac/11n - goes to the path thing, but sometimes the " \ | | / " can work, as this can generate some multipath, which MIMO is ok with and actually prefers...

But each case is different - try both and see what works best..

2 stories. It's on the first which I know is not ideal but luckily it reaches the area this one serves. We are running mu-mimo on it now as well.

I forgot how important antennae placement is.

2 stories. It's on the first which I know is not ideal but luckily it reaches the area this one serves. We are running mu-mimo on it now as well.

As long as it works - every WLAN is different in some way... in a single floor situation, give all the same orientation - and then go from there...

We are running mu-mimo on it now as well.

How do you know it's actually doing MU-MIMO?

This is an ongoing issue with current network tools - one can infer, but this is wireshark, and a specific set of knowledge - there's a couple of enterprise grade AP's at the moment that can collect logs, and Asus isn't on that list of AP's that can do this level of data collection.

As long as it works - every WLAN is different in some way... in a single floor situation, give all the same orientation - and then go from there...

Oh I spent about 3 hours troubleshooting this. Decided to leave this as a post it note and reminder for folks. I completely forgot to check the antennas, lol.

I forgot how important antennae placement is.

Antenna orientation as well as location of router in your house. My house is 2 story, router is sitting in a loft upstairs.

How do you know it's actually doing MU-MIMO?

This is an ongoing issue with current network tools - one can infer, but this is wireshark, and a specific set of knowledge - there's a couple of enterprise grade AP's at the moment that can collect logs, and Asus isn't on that list of AP's that can do this level of data collection.

F3CLA7g.png

Test and adjust - start here " | | | | " and go from there - simple enough ;)

@W4RH34D - just because it's enabled, doesn't mean it's in use...

Nice to see a capable router/ap though...

@W4RH34D - just because it's enabled, doesn't mean it's in use...

Nice to see a capable router/ap though...

Yeah I don't have the software to check that sort of thing. It would be a great article to read about though. The 87u was the one that had the "future" promises with it.

That horse is well beat and declared dead in so very many ways...

I thought so too until this latest firmware. Kinda curious if anyone else has tried this wave2. I know iphones etc aren't wave 2 but I've read the protocol is just better all the way around.

MU-MIMO only helps if you have two or more MU-MIMO devices. It will help most if both devices are fairly close to the router. It won't help much or at all if devices are far away.

A quick way to check would be to run a speed check to each device, one at a time with MU-MIMO enabled. Then run the speed check to BOTH devices simultaneously. If MU-MIMO is working, you should see higher throughput from the simultaneous device test than either of the single device tests. For a quicker check, run the simultaneous device with MU-MIMO enabled, then disabled.

MU-MIMO only helps if you have two or more MU-MIMO devices. It will help most if both devices are fairly close to the router. It won't help much or at all if devices are far away.

A quick way to check would be to run a speed check to each device, one at a time with MU-MIMO enabled. Then run the speed check to BOTH devices simultaneously. If MU-MIMO is working, you should see higher throughput from the simultaneous device test than either of the single device tests. For a quicker check, run the simultaneous device with MU-MIMO enabled, then disabled.

I have no mu-mimo client devices.

How can you tell if a device has MU-MIMO? I see a blue light on my EA9500 but have no clue which device is using MU-MIMO.

How can you tell if a device has MU-MIMO? I see a blue light on my EA9500 but have no clue which device is using MU-MIMO.

You can't, unless your router specifically reports it. Asus does on their Broadcom models (but not on the Quantenna one). With stock firmware, there's a column for it (if I remember). With my firmware, it will look like this (look for the "M" flag):

mu-mimo2.png

You can't, unless your router specifically reports it. Asus does on their Broadcom models (but not on the Quantenna one). With stock firmware, there's a column for it (if I remember). With my firmware, it will look like this (look for the "M" flag):

View attachment 6961

I switched to the AC88U. Where can I check in the GUI? I may have to switch to your firmware to check.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!