What's new

Performance Comparison - R9000 - R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kitsap

Regular Contributor
Recently picked up a second hand R9000 to use as a backup for my old warhorse R7800. If it performed well, I had planed to promote it to everyday router status and keep the R7800 as backup.

On the R9000 I performed a firmware default reset and upgraded to Voxel firmware v. 1.0.4.65HF. Went through a stand alone configuration and installed it in place of my R7800. After running the R9000 for a few days, I was disappointed in the performance for everyday network tasks such as file transfer to and from NAS and VPN server duty. The R9000 is a solid performer for Wi-Fi on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. I do not have the Kamoj addon installed on either router.

I expected more out of the R9000. Have I missed something?

AFAIK? Nope.

I think the only advantage of the R9000 vs R7800 in normal use is the Wireguard client. 4 cores are used. Incredible speed. The rest (samba i.e. NAS, OpenVPN server, etc.) should be the same. One core. Same CPU speed.

Well only if you are using Plex or SFP+ Port then yes. The rest is 1.7GHz vs 1.7GHz.

And Entware add-ons such as a webserver or something else multi-threaded.

P.S.

Forgot: beautifully illuminated antennas:)

1671701029878.png
Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!