What's new

Permission Problems on USB Drive Attached to RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mooring

New Around Here
I installed a used RT-AC88U about two weeks ago without any USB drive connection. I got the thing setup just the way I wanted and it has been working without issues.

Yesterday, I connected one of my older WD usb drives (USB 2) to the router. I setup the AiDisk application and I setup AiCloud. I installed the mobile apps on my IOS devices.

I can see the drive from Windows (10) explorer. I can see the drive from my iPhone and my iPad. I can see the drive from Chrome web browser.

I setup a "Mirror" operation with Free File Sync (FFS) running in Administrator mode. It ran fine for nearly 24 hours (845 Gb) before I started to get permission errors. Errors complained about not being able to create a directory or a file. I did get a partial mirror of the files to the USB drive.

I have reset the router to factory and reconfigured. I have rebooted all connected devices.

I am unable to save or create a file on the usb drive--always gives me some kind of permission error. I tried to edit the permissions in Windows (10), but they do not "stick" to the changes I make. I noted in the user list of in the Security Tab of the file/directory properties, it lists the username (RT-AC88U-4088\username) as the last group or user name--it does not show any active permissions for anyone.

The drive was working as expected for about 24 hours--I don't think it failed. I disconnected and scanned for errors with another computer and it came out fine.

I have Google searched for solutions an found a couple with similar behavior, but no solutions.

Any ideas on how I can get this drive working again? As is, I cannot add or edit any file that is on the usb Drive--seems to be read only.

Thanks for any and all help.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!