What's new

pfSense 2.3 Released

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Announcement here - https://blog.pfsense.org/?p=2008

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 1.07.11 PM.png

"We are happy to announce the release of pfSense® software version 2.3!

The most significant changes in this release are a rewrite of the webGUI utilizing Bootstrap, and the underlying system, including the base system and kernel, being converted entirely to FreeBSD pkg. The pkg conversion enables us to update pieces of the system individually going forward, rather than the monolithic updates of the past. The webGUI rewrite brings a new responsive look and feel to pfSense requiring a minimum of resizing or scrolling on a wide range of devices from desktop to mobile phones."

sfx

I read about it in Distrowatch.com, the same day it was released. I started to use version pfSense 2.2, already did the upgrades, surely the 2.3 ver, made it more "Professional look", functionality still very good and impressive. I'm just a new user and still learning about it, nothing fancy.

sfx

I read about it in Distrowatch.com, the same day it was released. I started to use version pfSense 2.2, already did the upgrades, surely the 2.3 ver, made it more "Professional look", functionality still very good and impressive. I'm just a new user and still learning about it, nothing fancy.

Version <2.2.x was a crazy "diff?" of FreeBSD's code.

2.3.x is a much simpler pkg overlay/addition to the FreeBSD code.

As a wanna-be dev, I think this change is huge & awesome.

Version <2.2.x was a crazy "diff?" of FreeBSD's code.

2.3.x is a much simpler pkg overlay/addition to the FreeBSD code.

I'm just a learning user.

I like always trials and errors with pfSense , specially when it pushes me to think and research the issue, and then When I develop a more comprehensive idea of what it is doing, then I fire away my goals.

My main goal, is how to improve my data network.

first hurdle, I had to disabled in my ADSL router the common package data management tools that came with it. Able pfsence, made a different.

Yet still learning with it. I download some antivirus modules for pfsence useful only for 2 of my Windox machines, since my other 2 PC are running certified FSF GNU-Linux.

Still my adsl network is reading Zero CRC errors. The buffer over run varies from OS to OS in my own experience, for example, If I'm running a test in the Buffer Overrun the windox machine, scores a c+. but when I conduct a test with my FSF gnu-Linux machines, it scores a A+. For me that it is trivial and to be research.

Just me.

It removed items such as the data use graphs, gone! :(

I haven't spent much time with the new "Monitoring" section, but historical (excluding the not-as-useful interface data-usage since last reboot) data-usage does seem to be gone. :(

I assume the actual data is still there, but the new GUI just does not have it included yet.

I hope they fix it. They say 2.3.1 is going to fix a lot of issues with the new GUI interface.