What's new

PFSense - Loosing internet after any Wan change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ralms

Occasional Visitor
Greetings friends,

From the start of using PfSense (about 1 year ago), Ive haven't been using WAN for the internet, instead I created a second interface WAN2 (due to some troubles I was having lol). And WAN2 worked fine, would always work even if I changed settings, if the link would go down it would reestablish the connection by it self.

Now I changed back to WAN and its being a bit of a nightmare. The settings are the same as Wan 2, I've double checked.
Basically any config change or link status change (unplugging the cable temporarily) will cause my entire network to loose internet although the PFSense has it but things like "Ping" to the outside only work with Source Address being WAN itself.

When a PC in the network, regardless of what subnet is in tries to access the internet gives a ton of DNS errors since it cant resolve. (Using ISP DNSs filled automatically and google as a backup 8.8.8.8)

To fix this I have to reboot PFSense every time.

It seems routing or something related, I have everything on default on that regard (I think at least) and it weird that WAN2 worked but the intended WAN port has this problem.
Is there anything I can check/change so PfSense will proactively fix the internet connection without the reboot?

Thanks in advance,
Ralms.

Sounds like WAN1 is still broken somehow - one option would be to just remove that interface and stick with WAN2.

Other things to possibly check, since you have two WAN interfaces configured is the the CARP config.

Sounds like WAN1 is still broken somehow - one option would be to just remove that interface and stick with WAN2.

Other things to possibly check, since you have two WAN interfaces configured is the the CARP config.

I can't remove it, doesn't let me.

I will need help finding the "CARP Config" :S
After searching I have "High Availability Sync" disabled.
In "Status -> CARP (Failover)" it returns error: No CARP interfaces have been defined.

This is in a home enviroment and I only have 1 PfSense box. I had 2 WANs but was just for config purposes, I only have 1 internet connection. I would switch between them manually to try configs, leaving the other as a backup in case stuff didnt work.

Ok - so just disable WAN1 under interfaces and keep WAN2 around... and take a look at System / Routing and there you can see what's going on with the gateways.

Also make sure your default LAN rules reference WAN2 specifically for LAN to WAN traffic .. not a gateway group if you've created it, or WAN1. Had to do a few tweaks like this after going from dual WAN load balancing, to single fibre WAN. If the default rule to pass LAN to WAN traffic references the wrong gateway, all of your web traffic will "fail".