What's new

pfSense users, what exactly do you log?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachBum

Regular Contributor
I would like to know what do you seasoned pfSense users set to log in your firewall logs?

Do you log everything? Have only some things set to log? Enable/Disable Default Rule Logging? Whats most important to you? What log event types are "spam"? How many entries do you view in the GUI? Do you send your logs to a remote log viewer? Which one? Do you view them as raw?

I have all the default blocks logging, 94% of which is pass (out) events according to the summary.

I would like to know what do you seasoned pfSense users set to log in your firewall logs?

Do you log everything? Have only some things set to log? Enable/Disable Default Rule Logging? Whats most important to you? What log event types are "spam"? How many entries do you view in the GUI? Do you send your logs to a remote log viewer? Which one? Do you view them as raw?

I have all the default blocks logging, 94% of which is pass (out) events according to the summary.
I've been using pfSense for approximately 6 months.

1. No logs for CaptivePortAuth, IPsec, PPP, VPN, Load Balancer. No Wireless log because Ubiquit AP hasn't been installed.
2. Everything else is logged.
3. General and OpenVPN.
4. DK
5. 50 (default)
6. No.
7. DK

Not logging anything on the firewall other than the default basic stats that one can find under https://<routername>/diag_logs_filter_dynamic.php - if it gets exported out to syslog, that's fine - Exporting SNMP and Syslog to a remote server instance inside my firewall for post data analysis...

Generally, you want to remove noise so that a problem will be obvious rather than drowned out.

My firewall setup is a bit different because I use a whitelist rather than a blacklist; I block all LAN to WAN connections unless explicitly allowed. None of this blocked traffic is logged, except when trouble-shooting. I have an alias list of especially noisy ports that I never want logged.

I log all block WAN to pfSense blocks, but mostly just as a curiosity since all ports are closed so ... nothing should be getting in.

Now that I think about it, I should probably hide all external attempts and log only blocked internal...

I guess the next question is what is considered 'noise'? I have all the boxes checked in the status log settings page and there are a ton of firewall entries flying by. I wouldn't see an obvious problem at all.

I guess the next question is what is considered 'noise'? I have all the boxes checked in the status log settings page and there are a ton of firewall entries flying by. I wouldn't see an obvious problem at all.

What is your most likely threat vector or concern?

Internal Windows clients with unsecured UPnP & NetBios opening external ports? Then monitor outgoing traffic on those ports.

Or are you running externally accessible services? Then monitor those specific incoming ports.

If you have lots of allowed IN/OUT traffic, an IDS might be a good idea because they have powerful pattern recognition, even with encrypted data.

Generally, you want to remove noise so that a problem will be obvious rather than drowned out.

I log all block WAN to pfSense blocks, but mostly just as a curiosity since all ports are closed so ... nothing should be getting in.

Now that I think about it, I should probably hide all external attempts and log only blocked internal...

remember that logging tasks do affect CPU - doesn't put more "load" on it, but it does extract a cost for interrupt processing - it's a fine line to balance useful info vs. just logging everything ;)

remember that logging tasks do affect CPU - doesn't put more "load" on it, but it does extract a cost for interrupt processing - it's a fine line to balance useful info vs. just logging everything ;)

You can always buy more powerful hardware, but you cannot look at non-existant logs... ;)

Thanks for your comments all.

I am not currently running any externally accessible services. I think the biggest threat vectors are this:
  1. Computer illiterate In-Laws who click on every attachment no matter who its from. Install every/anything from the asian soap opera websites so they can watch their shows. I've already wiped laptops twice due to malware. I have just gotten them to accept running in non-admin mode.
  2. Free flowing traffic. I have the default pfsense firewall setup so it blocks everything unsolicited. BUT if I were to lock everything down so only certain things were allowed out there would be a whirlwind of dragon fury directed my way if things were made difficult for them too quickly. Yes I know, tradeoffs etc. I've just now gotten them to accept having to ask me for admin password to install anything :) Baby steps...
I think my best bet and my main reason for implementing pfSense is the IDS/IPS/Virus/Malware/etc scanning at the firewall system. But now that 2.3 is out not all that is working. I was on a consumer ASUS with the TrendMicro IDS/Virus scanning but it was way underpowered (need VPN performance for work) and I don't like the fact that all my traffic was being inspected by a third party.

As for the log noise, I think I can safely turn off the default logging of Bogon & Private Networks, no?

I think my best bet and my main reason for implementing pfSense is the IDS/IPS/Virus/Malware/etc scanning at the firewall system. But now that 2.3 is out not all that is working. I was on a consumer ASUS with the TrendMicro IDS/Virus scanning but it was way underpowered (need VPN performance for work) and I don't like the fact that all my traffic was being inspected by a third party.

Well, there's quite a few packages available - some more complicated than others - check out Suricata, but I'm not certain if they've updated the package for Release 2.3 yet... and of course there is always Snort, and you have multiple AV options as well..

Well, there's quite a few packages available - some more complicated than others - check out Suricata, but I'm not certain if they've updated the package for Release 2.3 yet... and of course there is always Snort, and you have multiple AV options as well..

Yep Snort is next on the list :) Which AV package would you recommend?

Back to the logs, can safely turn off the default logging of Bogon & Private Networks?

Yep Snort is next on the list :) Which AV package would you recommend?

They're all pretty good - just be careful not to run multiples, and in conjunction with Snort, you can get yourself pretty broken pretty quick - before jumping into that pool, make sure you backup your configurations in case you need to revert it back out.

Was looking at the "Removed Packages" list on the pfSense site, and regarding HAVP it says "...HAVP project is no longer maintained. Antivirus support is now built into the Squid package....."

So looks like I'll just need to get only Snort & Squid going for a IPS/AV system...

Was looking at the "Removed Packages" list on the pfSense site, and regarding HAVP it says "...HAVP project is no longer maintained. Antivirus support is now built into the Squid package....."

So looks like I'll just need to get only Snort & Squid going for a IPS/AV system...

One doesn't need to be on the tip of the source code tree, can always take a step back until the tip goes release - 2.3, even though "release" is pretty bold and very close to the tip at the moment...

OpnSense went through similar troubles when they decided to refactor, and introduced many regressions and new bugs...

They're all pretty good - just be careful not to run multiples, and in conjunction with Snort, you can get yourself pretty broken pretty quick - before jumping into that pool, make sure you backup your configurations in case you need to revert it back out.

If you run snort don't run it in automatic blocking mode to start. You want to study the logs for a while and adjust to your traffic. Otherwise you will be chasing your tail with false positives.

If you run snort don't run it in automatic blocking mode to start. You want to study the logs for a while and adjust to your traffic. Otherwise you will be chasing your tail with false positives.

Yes this one is going to be a bear to learn I can see...

Well if anyone is interested on an update:
I've had Snort/Squid/SquidGuard running for while now and have it pretty dialed in. For Snort I'm using the paid VRT Rules in Connectivity mode. I also have a couple of the individual rule sets activated as well. Overtime I've suppressed the false positives and its running pretty well. Its neat to see where the blocks are coming from, China, Korea, Russia, etc. One hiccup I'm having is that when my wife connects her VPN to her work. A computer on her companies network tries to port scan my network and Snort blocks it which results in her not being able to use her VPN. I'm debating wether to suppress that or not as I don't feel they should be port scanning my network.

Squid is active and I mainly use it for the HTTP inspection and AV Scanning. I don't care much about the cache part of it. I've had several legitimate virus blocks resulting from malicious flash advertisements on flash game sites my son visits. Kind of neat to see it actually work like its supposed to. Next step is to set up HTTPS inspection for AV scanning in HTTPS traffic.

I also want to setup log analysis like ELK or Splunk, but haven't got into that yet.

I would suggest to use also pfBlockerNG which now supports DNS blocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk