What's new

Phone cable.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TrebleTA

I'm have a phone extension lead that I then plug the phone in to but want to replace it with just one wire. The bit that plugs in to the phone is rj11 2pin with a 4pin phone end that plugs in master socket.

Do I need a 4pin cable, or a 2 pin for me to do this also cross over or straight

Tock pick of the phone back etc.

in the US, red is positive, Green negative in the current loop connection. Just keep the colours matched up. as you make connections. If it is using the secondary pair, same principle.

One pair per phone line to the demarcation box. Follow the same colour pair throughout the house. It is a current loop. Signal flows from the phone switching station to your house on the red cable to the devices and then leaves by the green cable back to the phone switching station. You only need one pair if you only have one phone line service. There is a limit to the number of devices you can connect to on one current loop pair. i think it was the equivalent to 3-4 phones.

Depends on the type of DSL. Look at the cable connection to your DSL modem. Usually only one pair. You should be able to log into the DSL modem - userid and password on the the sticker on the modem. THen you can confirm if only one pair is used in the signal statistics page. May be under diagnostics.

If you are only plugging in a phone it is one pair straight in matching the wire colours. You will need a DSL filter as well.for the phone connection

what are you plugging the phone into - a wall outlet or the back of the modem where it says "phone" or has a rj11 socket ?

@ColinTaylor, your message vanished. Last time I was asking for my asus dsl ax82u cable. This is for the landline

So a 2 or 4 pin, as long as it straight?
Sorry for the confusion.

Yes it's straight through. To be honest I think all cables you can buy will be four wire anyway. My handsets are all four-wire.

Check that the plug is actually RJ11. Most of the time it will be RJ9 which is the same but in a smaller shell. An RJ11 plug may not fit into your handset. EDIT: Ignore that, I see now that you're talking about a base station and not a handset.

Thank you all for the advice, yes im only finding 2 pin cables that are cross over. I have found a 4pin stright, will stick with that.

Yet just read this.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: There are 3 different types of BT to RJ11 Modem Cable:
  • 2 pin Cross Wired Cable: This is the standard Modem Cable. Used for modems / Routers but some telphones and other devices do use these too.
  • 4 pin Straight Wired Cable: Used with some Telephones and most Fax Machines.
  • 4 pin Cross Wired Cable: Used for Sky Boxes and Most UK Telephones.
So now think it could be 4pin crossed?

... yet the rj11 has the middle 2..
Sorry, I missed that earlier. That's different to my phone.

Looking into this a bit more it appears that there's no actual standard for connecting to the RJ11 on the telephone side. Manufacturers can do what they want. The BT plug side is standardised though.

So the BT plug uses connectors 2 and 5 (the outer pair) to carry the voice and ring. You can see on your phone's RJ11 plug that only the centre connectors (positions 3 and 4) are used. So you need a cable that connects BT plug (BT431A) connectors 2 and 5 to RJ11 plug positions 3 and 4. So the difficulty is knowing what this is called. It's not straight-through, but on the other hand it's not really a crossover cable. It's probably best if you just buy something specifically described as a "BT Plug to RJ11 Telephone Lead".

EDIT: I've just checked (visually and with a meter) the cable to one on my telephones and it's different than yours. Mine is a straight through four-wire cable and the phone doesn't use the centre pair.

EDIT 2: I checked my telephone answering machine's cable and it's more like yours. It only has two wires and they go from connectors 2 and 5 on the BT plug to positions 3 and 4 on the RJ11.

Last edited:
Will use a tester in the morning, and see what's what.
Looking down at the pins, so like my pic, 1 on left?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!