What's new

Phone Jack Internet - Suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Leth96

New Around Here
Is is possible to use the phone jacks in my house to transmit internet at 100mbps or greater and if so what is the easiest way?

Currently I'm using powerline / ethernet via the power ports, and it works decently but there’s some speed loss.

My house is was built in the 1960s, I'm thinking cables are going to be an issue.

Here's a photo of the cables.

Any advice is appreciated. If I need to rewire everything how hard will this be and what kind of person should I hire for this?

Attachments

• cables.jpg
    cables.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 119
My house is was built in the 1960s, I'm thinking cables are going to be an issue.
You would be thinking correctly. :)

HPNA was a technology that you could have tried, but it never got enough traction and wasn't as good as powerline.

It's unlikely your cables are up to the job.

You can hire an electrician to pull the cables. CAT 5e is good enough, but you can go higher to CAT6.

But if you want them terminated and don't want to do it yourself, then you'll need a data cabling company. If you have local small-biz computer companies, they might have a tech that can do the job. A/V installers are another option.

To judge determine the type and quality of the cables you really need to look at the jacket.

With two pairs/ four wires only you can set up Fast Ethernet (100Mbps). Depending on the quality of the cable and the quality of the installation you might get the speed but if this was a loop through phone installation (no home runs back to a central point the wire is only useful for telephone.)

Is is possible to use the phone jacks in my house to transmit internet at 100mbps or greater and if so what is the easiest way?

Currently I'm using powerline / ethernet via the power ports, and it works decently but there’s some speed loss.

Here's a photo of the cables.

Any advice is appreciated. If I need to rewire everything how hard will this be and what kind of person should I hire for this?
Option 1. (best)
Call an electrician.

Option 2. (better)

Condition:
1. You know where the phone cables come from.
2. You know the cable length.
3. You know the diameter of conduit.
4. You know how to terminate UTP cable and RJ45 jack.

Buy.
1. CAT.5E cable(if you have a small conduit)
2. CAT.6 cable(if you have a mid or big conduit)
3. Enough length of Fish tape: Small conduit- 2 wires type. Mid or Big conduit: 2 wires or 3 wires type.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082MZTN9K/?tag=snbforums-20
4. RJ45 Crimping tool
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHJBLXQ/?tag=snbforums-20
5. Wall plate for keystone jack
6. Keystone jack

How to use a fish tape.

Fish tape guide head type.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Option 3. (good)

1. Tie phone cables and UTP cable with Duck tape or any type of strong tape.
2. Pull the phone cables.
Issue: phone cables can be disconnected while you are working. :eek: If it happens you should buy a fish tape.

Single floor house ?
If so, cable drops from attic are relatively easy for interior walls.

WIFI is not an option ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!