What's new

Phone takes 1min to change AP - how to solve?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nu1mlock

New Around Here
Hi!

Inside I have a TP-Link EAP245 v3 and it gives me good enough speed inside. However, as soon as I go outside I have close to zero signal and it is impossible to do anything with my phone (browsing, video, music etc). I have an old TP-Link MR600 router in AP-mode that covers outside and another house, but it takes about one minute for my phone to switch over. Even with zero bars on the phone it is still connected to the old AP.

I'm not sure what I need to solve this issue.

At first I was planning on replacing the TP-Link MR600 router with two older models of TP-Link EAP245 (v1) and a controller to increase the signal for outside and the second house. However, I am not certain that is a good idea.

The older model of EAP245 (v1) does not seem to support "Fast Roaming", which might be what I need? If yes, I would need the newer version of EAP245 (v3). That isn't a problem itself, just twice as expensive and it would be cheaper to purchase for example a 3-pack Deco M5, or as much as one 3-pack and one 2-pack of Deco M5.

My router is an Edgerouter X and incoming connection is 1Gbit. I don't need especially high speed wirelessly as I connect those devices with a cable.

Thank you!

Last edited:
What model/brand of mobile phone?

SSID's - same SSID across AP's or does each have it's own?

What model/brand of mobile phone?

SSID's - same SSID across AP's or does each have it's own?
Hi,
Sorry, that info should've been in the first post.

The SSID is the same. My phone is a EU version of Samsung Galaxy S9, which uses their Exynos chip. I think it support 802.11r/k/v, but info is scarce.

Devices decide when and where to roam. IF your phone supports 802.11v, an AP that also supports it MIGHT help speed the roam. But there are many functions in 11v and all are typically not supported in all devices. So this is not a guarantee.

"Fast roaming" is 11r, which isn't applicable to your situation. It is focused on sub-second roaming.

Setting a separate SSID on the AP and manually switching networks will definitely work and might be your best bet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!