What's new

Pi-hole on my main-network, can't see devices on guest-network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SP2005

Occasional Visitor
I'm running the latest version af Merlin on my ASUS RT-AC68U

I have created a guest-network for most of my devices and have the main-network for my self. I'm running Pi-hole on my main-network. I would really like Pi-hole to be able to see all devices on my network. Is it possibly somehow to make Pi-hole see all devices and still keep the safty with a main- and guest-network ?

I'm running the latest version af Merlin on my ASUS RT-AC68U

I have created a guest-network for most of my devices and have the main-network for my self. I'm running Pi-hole on my main-network. I would really like Pi-hole to be able to see all devices on my network. Is it possibly somehow to make Pi-hole see all devices and still keep the safty with a main- and guest-network ?
Use DNS filter under lan set global DNS to custom one

Then set custom onet tothe piholes IP address

Then set pi holes Mac to no filter and it should be as right as rain.

Just to be sure

This setting should make it possible to keep my safety with the guest-main network seperation, and make Pi-hole able to still see all devices ?

UPDATE - I just tried the DNS-filter option and it seems to do the job, letting both Guest- and main-network use Pi-hole…but in the Pi-hole log, every traffic seems to come from my router now. Before I was able to see which devices that was blocked or asking for queries, which I really liked. Now it all seems to come from the same device, my router.

MHMNbTt.png

Last edited:
If you block LAN access to the Guests, then it will also block access to the Pi-Hole since it sits within your LAN. The only way around this is if the Pi-Hole is accessed by the router instead of the clients.

UPDATE - I just tried the DNS-filter option and it seems to do the job, letting both Guest- and main-network use Pi-hole…but in the Pi-hole log, every traffic seems to come from my router now. Before I was able to see which devices that was blocked or asking for queries, which I really liked. Now it all seems to come from the same device, my router.
As Merlin pointed out it is a consequence of using DNSFilter to bypass the guest's isolation from the LAN (where the Pi-Hole is). If it bothers you you could install YazFi instead which IIRC can create a pin hole from the guest network directly to the Pi-Hole.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!