1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Pi-hole on my main-network, can't see devices on guest-network

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by SP2005, Nov 8, 2019.

1. SP2005

SP2005 Occasional Visitor

I'm running the latest version af Merlin on my ASUS RT-AC68U

I have created a guest-network for most of my devices and have the main-network for my self. I'm running Pi-hole on my main-network. I would really like Pi-hole to be able to see all devices on my network. Is it possibly somehow to make Pi-hole see all devices and still keep the safty with a main- and guest-network ?

2. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

Use DNS filter under lan set global DNS to custom one

Then set custom onet tothe piholes IP address

Then set pi holes Mac to no filter and it should be as right as rain.

SP2005 likes this.
  3. SP2005

SP2005 Occasional Visitor

Just to be sure

This setting should make it possible to keep my safety with the guest-main network seperation, and make Pi-hole able to still see all devices ?

UPDATE - I just tried the DNS-filter option and it seems to do the job, letting both Guest- and main-network use Pi-hole…but in the Pi-hole log, every traffic seems to come from my router now. Before I was able to see which devices that was blocked or asking for queries, which I really liked. Now it all seems to come from the same device, my router.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

If you block LAN access to the Guests, then it will also block access to the Pi-Hole since it sits within your LAN. The only way around this is if the Pi-Hole is accessed by the router instead of the clients.

oso2276 and Vexira like this.
  5. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

As Merlin pointed out it is a consequence of using DNSFilter to bypass the guest's isolation from the LAN (where the Pi-Hole is). If it bothers you you could install YazFi instead which IIRC can create a pin hole from the guest network directly to the Pi-Hole.

Jack Yaz likes this.