What's new

Pihole and IPV6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elmer

So, my goal was to get pihole w/unbound working with Asus merlin. This thread got me very close:

snbforum link

But, I'm lucky enough to have native ipv6, so I placed the pihole ipv6 addresses in the "IPV6/IPV6 DNS settings" and immediately got the "Limiting to 1000 queries per 60 seconds" error on the pihole. It's the same thing you see with IPV4 if you fail to turn off "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS." Well, it must be the IPV6 setting that says "Enable Router Advertisement," right? I soon as I disable "Enable Router Advertisement," IPV6 disappears (no longer provisioned by the ISP). Okay, long story short, the key appears to be setting the router IPV6 (ifconfig - br0) address into the "IPV6 DNS Settings," not the pihole address. Pihole errors go away, no dns leaks, and:

Screenshot from 2023-01-26 11-10-17.png

But, I'm lucky enough to have native ipv6, so I placed the pihole ipv6 addresses in the "IPV6/IPV6 DNS settings" and immediately got the "Limiting to 1000 queries per 60 seconds" error on the pihole.
Did you check the Pi-Hole to see which device was generating the DNS requests that triggered the Pi-Hole warning? Was it the router, the Pi-Hole device, or some other LAN client device? Is the device running Pi-Hole and Pi-Hole itself configured to use IPv6? For example one may have to edit the /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf file to include the Pi-Hole IPv6 address. And one likely needs to select IPv6 DNS servers on the Pi-Hole DNS settings page. One can search the internet for basic Pi-Hole IPv6 setup guides.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!