What's new

Ping spikes in wireless on r7800 with stock/voxel and openwrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routine

Occasional Visitor
Unfortunately I have to report a problem that I can't solve in a long time.. I have random high latency peaks, both with the last stock/voxel firmware and with openwrt in wireless mode.
Pinging from telnet in the router console I don't have this spikes problem.
It is frustrating that such a costly router that is sold as a gaming router has this issue..
I also noticed a latency increase of about 8ms by activating dsncrypt2.
Could it be a cpu problem?
these latencies are a pain....

EDIT: the iMac wireless card makes spikes, i tried with another client and with stock firmware I don't have any spikes. ping is extremely stable. but in stock there is the bufferbloat problem on wireless. Netgear qos is a crap... No problem with lan cable instead.
Maybe they don't fix on purpose to sell the xr500.. :mad:
In openwrt the random spikes are there anyway.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have to report a problem that I can't solve in a long time.. I have random high latency peaks, both with the last stock/voxel firmware and with openwrt in wireless mode.
Pinging from telnet in the router console I don't have this spikes problem.
It is frustrating that such a costly router that is sold as a gaming router has this issue..
I also noticed a latency increase of about 8ms by activating dsncrypt2.
Could it be a cpu problem?
these latencies are a pain....

EDIT: the iMac wireless card makes spikes, i tried with another client and with stock firmware I don't have any spikes. ping is extremely stable. but in stock there is the bufferbloat problem on wireless. Netgear qos is a crap... No problem with lan cable instead.
Maybe they don't fix on purpose to sell the xr500.. :mad:
In openwrt the random spikes are there anyway.

Same issue on the XR500, it is a wifi driver issue and they all come with the same driver, but for me it was fixed with latest kong dd-wrt build.

Kongpro openwrt is the best firmware I tried for bufferbloat and without ping/cpu spikes.
(I have vhdsl..)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!