What's new

pitfalls of ssh with Authorized Keys

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kolya

New Around Here
I just ran into an issue trying to use the ssh with Authorized Keys functionality with ASUSwrt Merlin. I had tried copying and pasting my public ssh key into the Authorized Keys field in the Administration - System web page but couldn't manage to get things to work. I then logged into the router itself and manually copied a file with my key overwriting the .ssh/authorized_keys in the root home directory. After I did this things worked. As it turned out when I copied and pasted the key into the router web gui newlines were introduced corrupting the resulting .ssh/authorized_keys generated from what I pasted.

So moral of the story is when pasting keys into the router web gui make absolutely certain that no additional newlines are being injected into the text of your keys.

One way of preventing this problem would be to allow users to upload a file with their authorized keys via the router web gui - that way folks would avoid newline issues when pasting text.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!