What's new

PiVPN vs VPN router - OpenVPN 3?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RSengine

Occasional Visitor
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I have an ASUS AC86U and with AES-NI it kicks OpenVPN butt. However, I am unsure of how likely it is for ASUS to keep supporting it and upgrading the OpenVPN protocol on this thing. I've been looking into PiVPN and the Raspberry Pi 4 lately and I understand that the upcoming OpenVPN 3 protocol has support for multithreading. Here are my questions
- Some say that it is a better idea to run OpenVPN on your own open-source device (separate from the router) instead of running it on a consumer router. (more control, more security, more updates are the reasons I've seen). Others say it doesn't make a difference especially with a modern ASUS router. Do you find this to be true?
- If any of you are running PiVPN on a Raspberry Pi (any generation), what is the latest version of OpenVPN that it is capable of running? Is there any plan to support OpenVPN 3 in the future?

However, I am unsure of how likely it is for ASUS to keep supporting it and upgrading the OpenVPN protocol on this thing.

Latest firmwares from them are already running the latest 2.4.7 version (some models haven't received that firmware upgrade yet).

Is there any plan to support OpenVPN 3 in the future?

OpenVPN 3 is still in early development, and nowhere near production ready. There is no server support yet for instance, only client. It's also a bloated pig compared to OpenVPN 2.x, requiring a lot of external dependencies not typically found in routers (like d-bus).

I wouldn't expect OpenVPN 3 to appear in a hardware product for many years, and even then I doubt we'll see it appear in a router with limited flash space.