What's new

Plain Text passwords & UI issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DSwit

Occasional Visitor
A comment at the end of this thread over at the asus forum concerned me, are plain text passwords and issue with RMerlin firmware? Is it a problem with the asus firmware as well?

I'll quote post #14 as it has the text that concerned me.

TIA
--
I think I figured it out! I'm running 3.0.0.4.374_257 and I'm still having this problem.>
>
>
>I use a password generator that includes special characters i.e. ; ' " [ ] { } etc.
>>After a few rounds of resets and digging into my browser's console I finally figured out that passwords containing " ' and ; characters can cause the problem. >
>
>
>If you go to the system page (among others) and search for your password string in the source code of the page you'll see what I mean. Passwords are sent in plain text and certain characters within them can interrupt the scripts and cause the page to fail.>
>
>
>This is terrible coding, I'm not sure how confidant I can be in the security of the rest of the device.>
>
>
>I would advise ASUS to do a proper investigation into input sanitation and security practices, and respond with an update correct the problem.
--

Original post:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx..._id=11&model=RT-N66U (VER.B1)&page=2&count=14

I don't change anything in relation to that, otherwise it will completely break compatibility with the Asus firmware.

You can use https if you are worried about people on your LAN snooping your traffic looking for your password.

Thanks for your reply.

I was concerned that there may be broader implications from the text parsing problem with certain password characters causing a ui error.