What's new

Planning Network Setup For House

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BillyB

New Around Here
I am trying to adapt my current apartment setup for the house I am moving into once it is done being built, but I am having trouble. Currently, I have a Arris SURFboard SB6183 and an ASUS AC1900. I have a PS4, smart TV, and a desktop wired to the router. Two smartphones and a laptop are connected wireless. PS4, desktop and laptop are all used for gaming. Smart TV is used for streaming. Smartphones aren't used for anything intensive.

The house I am moving into has a metal network box that the modem will sit in, which rules out having wireless coming out of there. There are two CAT 5E cables coming out of that box to various places in the house. One cable will come out near the TV, which is close to the center of the house. The other cable will come out towards the front of the house where I am planning on putting the PS4 and desktop. The laptop is my wife's and she tends to wander around with it.

I could put everything on wireless, but I like the reliability of wired for gaming and streaming. Any suggestions on how to set this up or any compromises? House is 2025 square feet if that matters.

My suggested setup would require procuring 2 more pieces of hardware.

1) 5 port gigabit switch (super cheap ~$10)
2) Another router, can be strictly wired based or older generation wireless, as the wireless feature is not the focus. Also, assuming nothing "fancy" is needed out of the router besides NAT/Firewall/DHCP (could be a $20-30 purchase), with 4 LAN ports.

This would have you connecting the new router up to the cable modem in the metal box (assuming there is room) then connecting the 2 Cat5e cables that are wiring the rest of the house through your newly acquired router. Transition your ASUS AC1900 into an AP (with DHCP disabled), place it in the more centralized location by the TV. You then connect it through the LAN port on the AC1900 from the wall and the TV is connected through the AC1900 (LAN port).

The other location would then have you connecting your new 5 port switch to the wall... and connecting up the rest of your device directly.

My suggested setup would require procuring 2 more pieces of hardware.

1) 5 port gigabit switch (super cheap ~$10)
2) Another router, can be strictly wired based or older generation wireless, as the wireless feature is not the focus. Also, assuming nothing "fancy" is needed out of the router besides NAT/Firewall/DHCP (could be a $20-30 purchase), with 4 LAN ports.

This would have you connecting the new router up to the cable modem in the metal box (assuming there is room) then connecting the 2 Cat5e cables that are wiring the rest of the house through your newly acquired router. Transition your ASUS AC1900 into an AP (with DHCP disabled), place it in the more centralized location by the TV. You then connect it through the LAN port on the AC1900 from the wall and the TV is connected through the AC1900 (LAN port).

The other location would then have you connecting your new 5 port switch to the wall... and connecting up the rest of your device directly.
Couldn't have said it better myself. This would be a solid setup.

Being a new, or new to you, house any chance you will be repainting? If yes highly recommend running Ethernet to any wall that is repainted as the patching will be easier. Hide acces cutouts with picture frames if you need to.

Consider ceiling mount access points powered by ethernet that would look like a smoke detector.

Lots of people also add security cameras. I personally don't see the need as I have security provided by my dogs. They will lick and beat anyone with their tails.