What's new

Plans For RP-AC68U Aimesh Support, or replace units with routers instead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vexira

Part of the Furniture
Are there any future plans to support the RP-AC68U boxes in AImesh or would I be better off just buying a pair of routers to replace them, granted that one of my units is bricked and I was considering replacing it with a new one, personally I do feel as though I've wasted money on these units since they have had issues, but I will be furtherly disappointed if their not supported by ai mesh.

Also would it be worth replacing them with a pair of 86U's, if their not going to be supported by ai mesh?

+1 I would like to know as well.

I had asked that before in the AiMesh thread and was told it won't be supported. I would suggest to check with Asus support which I'm going to do right now.

I think the AiMesh support on the repeater could help significantly leveraging the wifi performance using hardware instead of just purely software on the nodes.

It would save a lot of money for people who already have the units and would make alot of sense to do, to not support the units is sayings to the customer you just wasted x number of dollars on boxes that are now redundant. It I sets a bad precedent.

These are responses I got from the Asus support in regard to the AiMesh support

RT-AC87U
Code:
In regards to the AI Mesh, we do not have a official release date for the upgraded firmware for this unit however it is expected within the next few months.

RP-AC68U
Code:
In regards to the AI Mesh, we have not started development on our repeaters such as the RP-AC68U, as a result we do not have a official release date for the upgraded firmwart however it is expected to be developed within the next few months.

These are responses I got from the Asus support in regard to the AiMesh support

RT-AC87U
Code:
In regards to the AI Mesh, we do not have a official release date for the upgraded firmware for this unit however it is expected within the next few months.

RP-AC68U
Code:
In regards to the AI Mesh, we have not started development on our repeaters such as the RP-AC68U, as a result we do not have a official release date for the upgraded firmwart however it is expected to be developed within the next few months.

May i know how do you get this information ?

I'm wondering if they will replace the current RP-AC68U units with aimesh supported ones on an ax standard, since I saw on b and h photo that they were discontinued.

Well at least they did not give an outright no . I'm happy with my RP68U , works really well , great connection and transfer speeds , stable as well . No dropped connections , never needs a reboot , just works .

The response I got was it depends on Realtek to give help or some sort of green light since the extender is based on a Realtek chipset.

Well seems that the rp 68u is dead unless there is going to be a newer model released that supports AI mesh.

Well seems that the rp 68u is dead unless there is going to be a newer model released that supports AI mesh.
Hope you are wrong , the RP68u is a great bridge/repeater hope Asus does not drop support/updates for it . Plus it was expensive , really hate when they drop support for expensive equipment , so Linksys /Netgear like , at least in the past WRT600 and WRND 2700 both dropped support/updates within 1 year of release .

I also hope I'm wrong but looking at the unit that was released before it, it wouldn't be surprised if I'm. Right

I just ended up replacing mine... I can use it to extend further if I want now... but it didn't look like it was coming any time soon and the AImesh is much faster and more stable...

The only thing is I have a tri-band to a dual-band... Might have been worth it to get another tri-band for dedicated wifi backhaul.

Are there any future plans to support the RP-AC68U boxes in AImesh or would I be better off just buying a pair of routers to replace them, granted that one of my units is bricked and I was considering replacing it with a new one, personally I do feel as though I've wasted money on these units since they have had issues, but I will be furtherly disappointed if their not supported by ai mesh.

Also would it be worth replacing them with a pair of 86U's, if their not going to be supported by ai mesh?
what issues did you have with the RP68U ?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!