What's new

Platinum Tools Express Jack?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jbsjbs

New Around Here
Curious if anyone uses the Platinum Tools Express Jack for RJ45 jack terminations, and if so whether they work reliably with any other jacks. I love the idea of one squeeze seating and snipping 8 wires, but I've been quite happy with Cable Matters Cat6 keystones at $1 apiece and not sure I'm ready to go to $3 apiece to save a minute or so per jack.

Would love thoughts on either one or both issues -- is the device worthwhile and are there less expensive jacks you've found that sit properly in it.

Thanks!

Curious if anyone uses the Platinum Tools Express Jack for RJ45 jack terminations, and if so whether they work reliably with any other jacks. I love the idea of one squeeze seating and snipping 8 wires, but I've been quite happy with Cable Matters Cat6 keystones at $1 apiece and not sure I'm ready to go to $3 apiece to save a minute or so per jack.

Would love thoughts on either one or both issues -- is the device worthwhile and are there less expensive jacks you've found that sit properly in it.

Thanks!
I use them when I find I need a custom length cable. It is much, much easier to make the connection because you are able to strip a much longer section of cable at the end, push it through the jack, verify that the cables came through in the correct sequence and then terminate and trim the cable in one step. When I made cables using a standard tool it was always tricky to cut the twisted pairs short enough that when terminated the stress relief securely held the cables jacket.

I still buy factory made short jumpers and patch cables as it just isn't for me cost effective or a good use of my time making this type of cable.

Thanks Captain! And are you using them with the Platinum Tools branded jacks or do they fit any other brands? The tool itself is well worthwhile to me, but when I use it I'm usually terminating 30 or 40 jacks at a time, and spending $3/jack instead of $1 is going to add up to a fairly big difference!

Thanks Captain! And are you using them with the Platinum Tools branded jacks or do they fit any other brands? The tool itself is well worthwhile to me, but when I use it I'm usually terminating 30 or 40 jacks at a time, and spending $3/jack instead of $1 is going to add up to a fairly big difference!
The last batch of EZ-RJ-45 Clamshell connectors I purchased from Amazon on Jan 8th cost me $28.12 for a bag of fifty. I use them on Cat5E cables both solid and stranded and the Link Rate I get is 1000Mbps. These are male connectors. Are we talking about the same or similar item? If yes, you need to shop for a less expensive source.

Found these - Platinum Tools 106205 - on an Amazon Warehouse Deals special.

Got a couple dozen extras, drop me a PM with an offer if you want some.

I can crimp to Cat5e as well. But at that point mind as well order pre-termed from Amazon

Three dollars US for a keystone jack is a great deal if you are using Cat 6 and on par for what a Cat5e keystone jack costs at retail.

My standard choice is these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KCX6WDE/?tag=snbforums-20

I've used hundreds of them without even having a bad one so the quality is excellent and the price is about $1 apiece. They even thrown in a handy tool to hold the jack while you punch it down.

637 Amazon reviews, 79% of them 5-star. So $3 apiece for a keystone jack actually feels very expensive to me. The only thing I'm getting for that incremental $2 is the ability to use the lever tool and so that's why I was hoping someone might have come across another jack that works in that tool.

Seriously though, the Cable Matters keystones are outstanding and a great value.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!