What's new

please HELP, asus router USB 3.0 port died , drive will not read in PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aross1976

Occasional Visitor
Ok so i went to access my NAS today
i have an Asus RT AC66UB_1
with a 4 TB western digital red drive and USB 3.0 enclosure connected to the routers USB 3.0 port.

The drive was not accessible so i went to the router config page and it said no USB device connected
to the 3.0 port, so i unplugged the drive and tried a USB flash drive in the same 3.0 port and it does not read that drive either.
The same flash drive does work in the router USB 2.0 port though.

Now i need to access the drive so i plugged it into my win 8.1 PC
the drive shows up in disk management but not in windows explorer.

I can see 6 partitions in disk management , 2 say primary partition and the other 4 say unallocated
i called Asus and they tell me the drive should be readable in windows
but it is not.
I only remember creating one partition in windows disk management before connecting this drive to my router so does this router re formatt or partition the disk so that is only readable by the router and is there any way around this so that i can get access to my files in windows?

When i right click on either of the primary partitions in disk management all options are greyed out except help and delete volume.

to the 3.0 port, so i unplugged the drive and tried a USB flash drive in the same 3.0 port and it does not read that drive either.
The same flash drive does work in the router USB 2.0 port though.
Did you try putting the enclosure in the USB 2 port? Is the enclosure powered by its own power supply?

EDIT: This sounds like exactly the same issue you previously reported.

Last edited:
Did you try putting the enclosure in the USB 2 port? Is the enclosure powered by its own power supply?

yeah this drive has its own external power supply, no i have not tried the 2.0 port yet
i removed the drive from the enclosure and will be returning it for a new one
i am afraid to use it, yeah i do remember having some issue before
vaguely i will have to go check my previous post now

yes now i think i remember, i think i did a factory restore on it
i can't remember if that was for this issue or another issue i had , i has an issue with it not working with my 2.4 clients ,the factory restore fixes one of those issues i can't remember which one now
but i did do a manual factory reset and the USB 3 port is still not working

but i did do a manual factory reset and the USB 3 port is still not working
There have been reports of compatibility issues with USB drives attached to the USB3 port. That's why I said to try it in the USB2 port. If it works in that port then you know it's not a problem with the drive.

Just because one particular drive doesn't work in the USB3 port doesn't necessarily mean that either is "broken". Not all devices are compatible with the router when operating in USB3 mode.

My thoughts - if the drive was previously working on USB3, and formatted/partitioned with ext2/3/4 - it's probably a dirty filesystem...

If it mounts via USB2, do a fsck on the drive there...

But first, if the drive mounts, copy the data over first before doing the fsck...

yes the drive was working previously on the same USB 3.0 port it just stopped working
i think it was around the same time i moved the router around i am thinking maybe the usb cable could have shorted out the port or tripped some kind of fuse or protection circuit inside the router
i forget how to do the fator restore procedure on this router
maybe i will try that, i have hundred of gigs of data i need to get from this drive