1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

please HELP, asus router USB 3.0 port died , drive will not read in PC

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by aross1976, Oct 11, 2018.

1. aross1976

aross1976 Occasional Visitor

Ok so i went to access my NAS today
    i have an Asus RT AC66UB_1
    with a 4 TB western digital red drive and USB 3.0 enclosure connected to the routers USB 3.0 port.

The drive was not accessible so i went to the router config page and it said no USB device connected
    to the 3.0 port, so i unplugged the drive and tried a USB flash drive in the same 3.0 port and it does not read that drive either.
    The same flash drive does work in the router USB 2.0 port though.

Now i need to access the drive so i plugged it into my win 8.1 PC
    the drive shows up in disk management but not in windows explorer.

I can see 6 partitions in disk management , 2 say primary partition and the other 4 say unallocated
    i called Asus and they tell me the drive should be readable in windows
    but it is not.
    I only remember creating one partition in windows disk management before connecting this drive to my router so does this router re formatt or partition the disk so that is only readable by the router and is there any way around this so that i can get access to my files in windows?

When i right click on either of the primary partitions in disk management all options are greyed out except help and delete volume.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Did you try putting the enclosure in the USB 2 port? Is the enclosure powered by its own power supply?

EDIT: This sounds like exactly the same issue you previously reported.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  3. aross1976

yeah this drive has its own external power supply, no i have not tried the 2.0 port yet
    i removed the drive from the enclosure and will be returning it for a new one
    i am afraid to use it, yeah i do remember having some issue before
    vaguely i will have to go check my previous post now

4. aross1976

yes now i think i remember, i think i did a factory restore on it
    i can't remember if that was for this issue or another issue i had , i has an issue with it not working with my 2.4 clients ,the factory restore fixes one of those issues i can't remember which one now
    but i did do a manual factory reset and the USB 3 port is still not working

5. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

There have been reports of compatibility issues with USB drives attached to the USB3 port. That's why I said to try it in the USB2 port. If it works in that port then you know it's not a problem with the drive.

Just because one particular drive doesn't work in the USB3 port doesn't necessarily mean that either is "broken". Not all devices are compatible with the router when operating in USB3 mode.

6. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

My thoughts - if the drive was previously working on USB3, and formatted/partitioned with ext2/3/4 - it's probably a dirty filesystem...

If it mounts via USB2, do a fsck on the drive there...

But first, if the drive mounts, copy the data over first before doing the fsck...

7. aross1976

yes the drive was working previously on the same USB 3.0 port it just stopped working
    i think it was around the same time i moved the router around i am thinking maybe the usb cable could have shorted out the port or tripped some kind of fuse or protection circuit inside the router
    i forget how to do the fator restore procedure on this router
    maybe i will try that, i have hundred of gigs of data i need to get from this drive