What's new

Please help - Asus RT-AC86U with failover dual WAN OpenVPN and port forwarding breaks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justifier1

New Around Here
Hi all,

My apologies up front if my question or terminology is out of wack as I am a bit of a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff. Anyway I was hoping @RMerlin or someone could help with the following problem:

I am running dual wan for the purpose of failover and failback as my HFC connection is unstable and I have it so that my Netgear LB2120 4G modem is running in bridge mode and is connected to the LAN4 port and RT-AC86U successfully swaps to this connection when the HFC on the normal WAN port goes down. (It also successfully goes back to the HFC connection once the HFC connection is restored)

The problem is that when it switches over to the LAN4 port 4G connection (from the Netgear LB2120) I can no longer connect to my network from outside with an OpenVPN connection (TAP or TUN) and the port forwarding also stops (can't access security cameras etc).

Once the router goes back to the normal HFC WAN connection everything starts working again.

Can somebody please help me to get it so my OpenVPN and port forwarding continues to work when it is using the secondary failover 4G connection on the LAN4 port?

I am really hoping this is something that can be fixed using Merlin's normal interface and not scripting or anything as I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Can @RMerlin or anyone please help with this? Am I the only one with this problem? I thought having the Netgear in Bridge mode would fix but OpenVPN and port forwarding break when it fails over to the 4G connection on the LAN4 port. Very frustrating because the HFC connection is very flaky and goes down regularly. Cheers

This is normal, mobile operators use NAT, so the IP address your receive is not Public (unlike a fiber, cable or DSL provider) , if you want to access your computer while on 4G connection, you need to request a fix IP form your 4G mobile operator at a cost, a lot of them don't even offer it...). I have the same problem... I have IP cameras that I can not access as soon as I am on 4G.