What's new

Please help me choose between WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra and a Synology 218J

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeKeiser

Hello everyone,

I have posted my problems with a QNAP TS-212P and duplicate files and directories/files being renamed :
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/problem-with-a-qnap-ts-212p.61288/#post-542548

I want to get another NAS I would be able to rely to. But I don't want to spend too much.
I already have a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra, quite happy with it. It costs 150 Euros.
But there is also the Synology 218J at 160 Euros.

My goal is to have my data on 2 4TB disks using Raid1. And only that. I don't plan to add any other program. I will copy data on the Raid1 partition and that's all. No media center, no video surveillance, no...

So which one would you choose?

Thank you for your feedback :)

My WD is still updated, it gets new firmwares from time to time.
Thing is, it seems pretty stable. More stable than the QNAP I have.
But if you think the Syno is a better buy, then......

I didn't say the Synology is a better buy. Just sharing my experience FWIW.

I would also expect more timely updates from Synology than WD. Most likely the Synology will also be supported for a longer time.

I didn't say the Synology is a better buy. Just sharing my experience FWIW.
I'm sorry I didn't mean to argue your post :)
Well I'll get the Synology. I don't know that brand, so will be nice to learn something new :)

Last edited:
WD works fine, is ok as a basic NAS. infact when i have money i'll order one for my parents. I would recommend synology though and if when i purchase it they have a better offer i would use them instead.

Synology is a pretty good NAS brand, the only problem i have with them is their price.

I would say WD if you want simple offline backup.

If you want a true NAS, then, from the listed options, I would go Synology.
(I researched for months though before going with QNAP over Synology but I doubt there's much point in my bringing this up)

Up until 6 months ago I used a WD My Cloud (not EX anything, just My Cloud - single drive). It worked fine for years but got bricked during a (very rare) firmware upgrade. WD support was no help - asking me to do things requiring access to the dashboard.

I used that as an opportunity to redesign my NAS configuration- replacing the My Cloud with a QNAP TS-128A (another single bay NAS) and replacing two very old WD MyBookLive devices with a Synology DS218 (2 bay in a RAID 1 config).

Based on a number tutorials I found on the web I was finally able to unbrick the My Cloud and am keeping it as an emergency backup device.

Now that I have a little experience with both Synology and QNAP, I prefer Synology. That's not based on much, though, and it's really too soon to form a strong opinion. The Synology just feel more professional to me.

The Synology just feel more professional to me.
At least partly, that could depend on the various models compared. Both companies have low end ( i.e. cheap look and feel ) units as well as both having some very nice high end products with lots in between. :)

At least partly, that could depend on the various models compared. Both companies have low end ( i.e. cheap look and feel ) units as well as both having some very nice high end products with lots in between. :)
Actually, I was not reacting to the hardware but to QTS vs DSM. Anything that has animated icons on its dashboard loses points with me - looks like a game rather than a professional tool. That system status thing in QTS reminds me of Clippy.

looks like a game rather than a professional tool.
Could not agree with you more. The QNAP GUI is very "childish" in some aspects compared to the professional tools I'm used to. Fortunately, I rarely use it. I have been successful in removing most (if not all) of the animations though, but overall it is still has a lower professional look and feel.

Hello everybody and thank you for all your answers :)
I've decided to get a Synology DS218J because I haven't tried that brand yet so I'm excited to play with this new toy :D I already own a WD NAS (and I'm very happy with it) so I need something new ;)
So the Syno will replace my QNAP NAS. Really disappointed with this brand or this model. Too many weird things with it. Hope the Syno will behave better ;)

EDIT : any advice on how to configure it the best way? I will only use it to store my data on a Raid1 partition. I don't plan to use any other software, like media stuff or...

EDIT 2 : Well I've changed my mind when I read this post :
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/synology-ds218j-ds218play-diskstations-reviewed.42455/

Mainly the hard drive hibernation feature does not work in Synology. Even when hard drives are not been accessed still the trivial things like clock sync, e-mail alerts, using DDNS or using a USB printer can wake up the hard drives or does not let it go to sleep to begin with. I have been in contact with Synology support and submitted my system logs but I was told that Synology support does not have any solution to my issues. And with OS installed on hard drive units there is constant wear on the drives.
My QNAP wakes the disks up when they are into hibernation. I thought it was because something was accessing the shares or the drives, but... And since the Synology has the same problem then it's a no way for me.
So back to my first choice, getting a WD NAS.

EDIT 3 : well... Another change of mind :D
I will try the Synology anyway cuz I'm curious to set up a DNS server and a mail server on this device. Right now, I have a Sheevaplug server with a Debian running, Postfix and Bind9. But I have a single disk connected. And the power supply of the Shevaplugs aren't famous to last more than 1 or 2 years. And if I'm not mistaken, they've also been discontinuated.
So I'm gonna set up a DNS and a mail server on the Syno, and see how it goes. I know that the disks will never enter hibernation mode but... let's do it :D

Last edited:
The My Cloud systems are fine for local file storage/media serving. I use various My Clouds with Kodi (on an Amazon firestick) for media serving and it has never failed. For remote access, things are a little less, shall we say, "transparent"? Remote access is hit or miss. Most problems are UPNP/Port management -related and, unless you're pretty good with networking, can be very frustrating to set up and keep up.

Just remember RAID1, a mirror, is not a replacement for backups. RAID1 gives a little faster reads and a little slower writes and if you cache instead of write through you can increase the write speed but it very dangerous without an APC, battery backup.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!