1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Please help me to setup custom DDNS for DynIP.com

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by MKANET, Jan 17, 2020.

1. MKANET

MKANET Occasional Visitor

I would like to use the popular DDNS service DynIP.com with my Merlin firmware. Since Merlin doesn't offer builtin support for this DDNS service, I would like to add it using "Custom". How do I configure Merlin to use DynIP.com's DDNS service in the Merlin firmware? The only information I can find is it says, "you must manually create a ddns-start script that handles your custom notification.". I'm not sure how to do that or even what that means.

2. MKANET

Is there a resource or document that could help walk me through to set this up? I'd really like to use DynIP.com with Merlin. In the meantime, I asked Merlin if it's possible to add support for DynIP.com. Hopefully, I'll be able to just add this in the Merlin GUI.

3. PeterR

PeterR Regular Contributor

4. MKANET

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm... this is a bit over my head. I was hoping there was already a script I could use. I'll just have to use an existing DDNS service that Merlin supports. It seems even the ones that Merlin supports, like No-Ip.com doesn't work very well.

5. PeterR

I use duckdns.org without any problem.

6. Chrisgtl

Chrisgtl Regular Contributor

I pay £10 a year for my Google DDNS. Works perfectly without any scripts or PhD's.

7. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

DynIP provides no public API documentation, so AFAIK, the only way to update is through their proprietary client.

That website seem to have been designed in the Win98 era for 800x600 screens, and their latest press release is from 15 years ago...

Vexira and MKANET like this.
  8. MKANET

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Do either of these DDNS services have an easy to use GUI tool for creating ad-hoc web redirects for subdomains..

For example, remote-access.myurl.com = https://www.myurl.com/remoteserver

I used to use DYNDNS.ORG which was ideal. However, they recently were acquired by Oracle... ending their DDNS services starting February 2020.

NO-IP.com looks like it would be a close alternative; but still not sure how compatible it is with Merlin's DDNS client.

9. MKANET

Thank you so much for explaining. Now it makes sense why it wasn't added to the list of supported DDNS services for Merlin's DDNS client.

10. PeterR

Duckdns supports txt records so you can make a letsencrypt certificate for your subdomains. duckdns is a free (no cost) service.

11. Vexira

Vexira Part of the Furniture

@MKANET
    Does it work via DNS O Matic?