What's new

Please help me to setup custom DDNS for DynIP.com

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MKANET

Regular Contributor
I would like to use the popular DDNS service DynIP.com with my Merlin firmware. Since Merlin doesn't offer builtin support for this DDNS service, I would like to add it using "Custom". How do I configure Merlin to use DynIP.com's DDNS service in the Merlin firmware? The only information I can find is it says, "you must manually create a ddns-start script that handles your custom notification.". I'm not sure how to do that or even what that means.

Is there a resource or document that could help walk me through to set this up? I'd really like to use DynIP.com with Merlin. In the meantime, I asked Merlin if it's possible to add support for DynIP.com. Hopefully, I'll be able to just add this in the Merlin GUI.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm... this is a bit over my head. I was hoping there was already a script I could use. I'll just have to use an existing DDNS service that Merlin supports. It seems even the ones that Merlin supports, like No-Ip.com doesn't work very well.

I use duckdns.org without any problem.

DynIP provides no public API documentation, so AFAIK, the only way to update is through their proprietary client.

That website seem to have been designed in the Win98 era for 800x600 screens, and their latest press release is from 15 years ago...

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Do either of these DDNS services have an easy to use GUI tool for creating ad-hoc web redirects for subdomains..

For example, remote-access.myurl.com = https://www.myurl.com/remoteserver

I used to use DYNDNS.ORG which was ideal. However, they recently were acquired by Oracle... ending their DDNS services starting February 2020.

NO-IP.com looks like it would be a close alternative; but still not sure how compatible it is with Merlin's DDNS client.

DynIP provides no public API documentation, so AFAIK, the only way to update is through their proprietary client.

That website seem to have been designed in the Win98 era for 800x600 screens,

and their latest press release is from 15 years ago...

Thank you so much for explaining. Now it makes sense why it wasn't added to the list of supported DDNS services for Merlin's DDNS client.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Do either of these DDNS services have an easy to use GUI tool for creating ad-hoc web redirects for subdomains..

For example, remote-access.myurl.com = https://www.myurl.com/remoteserver

I used to use DYNDNS.ORG which was ideal. However, they recently were acquired by Oracle... ending their DDNS services starting February 2020.

NO-IP.com looks like it would be a close alternative; but still not sure how compatible it is with Merlin's DDNS client.

Duckdns supports txt records so you can make a letsencrypt certificate for your subdomains. duckdns is a free (no cost) service.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!