What's new

Please help: What network allows 1 or more host computers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lana01

New Around Here
Hi Everyone

I'm a first year student studying IS. I can't seem to find reliable information for this question: What network has one or more host computers? I know its either LAN, peer to peer, client/server or WAN, but I can't be sure. I've agonised over this for hours and I still can't figure it out. This is my thought process:

What is the true definition of "host computer"? Does "host computer" = server, or are they only similar?

I know "peer to peer" and "client/server" are the two different types of LAN, and that WAN is a large collection of LANs.

If host computers are servers, then that includes all of them right? So then that would be LAN or WAN?
If host computers are similar but actually not servers, then the answer is peer to peer?

Thanks for reading this. Any help would be deeply appreciated^-^

Cheers!!

What is the true definition of "host computer"? Does "host computer" = server, or are they only similar?

In most networking books and common IT vernacular, a host is considered any device connected to the network. It can be a router, a server, a workstation, a printer, or anything else that has a network interface.

Peer-to-peer, client-server and the like are just ways of describing the relationships that some hosts have with other hosts.

Best of luck!
Tamarin