What's new

Please help with baffling unknown data usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Whiznot

New Around Here
I am running a small home ethernet network on an Asus RT-N66U router. Wifi is enabled with WPA personal secutity but wifi is rarely used but only for smart phone data. I have one Windows machine and a Raspberry Pi.

My cable ISP has a 250 GB monthly usage cap which I've never exceeded. Today my ISP sent a popup that said that, with 10 days remaining, I have used 345 GB. I checked the router's daily traffic monitor and found that the amount of date received over the last three days is an insane amount.

April 13 47.05 GB
April 14 128.57 GB
April 15 100.04 GB

I cannot account for the amount of data received. My video streaming and downloading habits haven't changed at all. I'm pretty sure that my wifi is secure.

How can I figure out what is going on? For now I've disabled wifi.

Can you look at the Traffic Monitor to see your current consumption? Maybe that might give you a clue (by turning devices off one at a time).

Windows 10 Creators Update doing P2P?

Thanks for the reply.

I discovered that Firefox was the culprit. I left it open for two and a half days. I wasn't downloading anything but Firefox was gulping data for some reason. It's strange because I have been running the same extensions for a long time and this has never happened before.

I guess I'll start running FF with one tab open to the real time traffic monitor and see if it happens again..

Thanks for the reply.

I discovered that Firefox was the culprit. I left it open for two and a half days. I wasn't downloading anything but Firefox was gulping data for some reason. It's strange because I have been running the same extensions for a long time and this has never happened before.

I guess I'll start running FF with one tab open to the real time traffic monitor and see if it happens again..
I have FF running more or less (18 hrs/day) continuously on my RPI3 and have no problems. Is it FF on the windows box that is generating the usage? I use Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger in addition to HTTPS Everywhere and live within a 5 gig/month cap. Also, if you are running Asus factory firmware, the traffic monitor is pretty lame. You can get much more detailed information on an IP by IP basis using TomatoUSB or DD-WRT firmware. Utube videos can also be a big bandwidth hog if you leave their pages open...they just go and go if you leave them.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!