What's new

Please, need help. Router not starting after latest Merlin update.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rockel83

Occasional Visitor
Excuse me to make a topic like this. But I really need help with this. I will be away from home for over 2 months after wednesday, and I need to have my network up and running for my home automation and security measures.

I'm having an Asus AC86U for about a few months now, and I was encountering some connection problems. And like stated above, my connection is verry important to me now. So I've looked for this forum for possible sollutions. I saw some comments that it was possible
because of some bugs in the latest firmware I was running(384.19_0) and that they would have solved in the upcomming update.

This evening I saw that this new version was online. So I could not wait to download it and to install it, so hopefully getting rid of these WIFI connection drops and having a stable network for the time being away after this wednesday.
- I had downloaded the new version (double checked if it was the right one for my router, AC86U) this evening (version 386.1_0).
- I've unpacked the zip, and manually uploaded it to the router. the bar was moving and it seemed to update fine.
- But then when finished, my connection dropped and I couldn't refresh the router page. It gave me a blank page.

Things I've tried so far.
- Giving the router an hard reset.
- then it starts up in the wizzard mode, but when I want to upload my configuration backup files here, it freezes. I'm not getting a file window. But the file window appears after shutting down the router.

- Gave another hard reset
- This time tried to reconfigurate the router manually
- I'm managing to get it into the UI then
- There I see that the newest firmware is applied (386.1_0)
- But when I go to upload the firmware again, it freezes again.
- Also tried to upload the (384.19_0) firmware again, but it also freezes then.
- When trying to upload the configuration file, the page freezes also.

Seems updating went without problems the first time. But maybe something got corrupted or so? I'm really sure I've uploaded the firmware of the right router. Because I checked it again now, and still have the orriginal zip.

Does annyone knows a quick fix for this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Excuse me to make a topic like this. But I really need help with this. I will be away from home for over 2 months after wednesday, and I need to have my network up and running for my home automation and security measures.

I'm having an Asus AC86U for about a few months now, and I was encountering some connection problems. And like stated above, my connection is verry important to me now. So I've looked for this forum for possible sollutions. I saw some comments that it was possible
because of some bugs in the latest firmware I was running(384.19_0) and that they would have solved in the upcomming update.

This evening I saw that this new version was online. So I could not wait to download it and to install it, so hopefully getting rid of these WIFI connection drops and having a stable network for the time being away after this wednesday.
- I had downloaded the new version (double checked if it was the right one for my router, AC86U) this evening (version 386.1_0).
- I've unpacked the zip, and manually uploaded it to the router. the bar was moving and it seemed to update fine.
- But then when finished, my connection dropped and I couldn't refresh the router page. It gave me a blank page.

Things I've tried so far.
- Giving the router an hard reset.
- then it starts up in the wizzard mode, but when I want to upload my configuration backup files here, it freezes. I'm not getting a file window. But the file window appears after shutting down the router.

- Gave another hard reset
- This time tried to reconfigurate the router manually
- I'm managing to get it into the UI then
- There I see that the newest firmware is applied (386.1_0)
- But when I go to upload the firmware again, it freezes again.
- Also tried to upload the (384.19_0) firmware again, but it also freezes then.
- When trying to upload the configuration file, the page freezes also.

Seems updating went without problems the first time. But maybe something got corrupted or so? I'm really sure I've uploaded the firmware of the right router. Because I checked it again now, and still have the orriginal zip.

Does annyone knows a quick fix for this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Your post says you were going to configure manually, but then tried to upload the configuration file.

Download the firmware again and check its MD5 to be sure it's healthy. Or not.

Reset the router, upload the firmware you want again, reset it again a couple times, and then configure it from scratch. Don't restore a saved configuration.

If that doesn't work, you'll need more extreme measures.

Latest RC2-11 beta is running fine here on AC86U.

OE

If it the case that GUI is freezing, refer to the release notes. The 86U is likely doing database maintenance. During this period, the GUI is frozen. Can take between 5 to 60 minutes. The odd person has reported up to 3 hours.

Try it again, and if it freezes, just go for a long walk and try in a couple of hours.

Thanks (both) for your help. Much apreciate it!

I've managed to get it working again, was thinking for a moment that my router was bricked. Which would have been a verry unpleasant time for this now...
I don't know exactly how. But got it working again. Probably after using the normall reset method, pressing the reset button for a couple of secconds. Strange that it kept showing this behaviour with the hard reset option (WPS+Power).

Figured out that my config files were also causing problems with the new and old version. A lot of settings were missing or I wasn't able to login after upload annymore.

So it took me a lot of resets and flashed the firmwares a couple of times, but eventually got to the latest and started configuring everything from scratch again. Still encountering the connection problems I'd mentioned. This was the main reason for me to try the update. But changing "auto" into "Legacy" cleared this out so far I guess...

I was not aware of this database maintanance and that it can freeze the GUI. Good to know for next time!

I'd noticed that my router seemed to get pretty warm when this GUI was freezing btw..
And now, my RAM usage is around 70% with the new firmware, annybody knows if this are normal values? I believe it had a lower usage with the same settings on the previous firmware.

Thanks! :D

Don't worry about the ram usage. If you SSH in and do a "free" command, you will see that a lot of used ram is in cache and buffers. The system will give it back if needed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!