What's new

Please recommend an Asus ax router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rinobattista

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone and thanks to those who will be able to advise me.

I live in an extended, multi-storey house.

At home we currently have about 40 devices connected to wifi.

I also have a Qnap data archive for audio and video files.

I currently have a fritz 4060 and six fritz 6000 repeaters.

However, I am interested in the Asus software, due to the various parental controls it allows to have; data traffic control etc.
The ai-mesh system will be wired. Is a dual band router better or is a tri band better?

Which asus ax router and aimesh repeater do you recommend for excellent performance?

Last edited:
the general consensus among asus users is the ax86 is the best current router. there are many threads detailing specific setups on both the main asuswrt forum and the asuswrt-merlin forum - I'd wager that you'll find someone with a use case similar to yours if you go looking. There are people using ax86 as router and getting more/a second one for the node(s), or using ax68s or ac86 or ac68 or or or... tailor the equipment to your use case.

dual vs tri-band isnt really discussed, as the guest networks can be used if you need another unique SSID, and as far as AX vs AC routers, if you don't have or expect to use many AX-capable devices, you can make the transition to Asus more affordable by sticking with AC-series routers, especially if you do not have Internet package speeds at/near 1Gbps

currently using 6 repeaters? is that related to the construction of your home? (is the wiring to Cat5e specification or higher?) you may be able to simplify your network significantly by making an upgrade to this asus equipment. Sorry, I'm not fully versed in the Fritzbox equipment or its specifications

I would start with one router and possibly as many as 2 nodes, but leave the nodes unopened in their boxes until you can determine the coverage you achieve with just the one router, and add nodes one at a time to compensate for deficiencies. I can't tell you what will be best for your home for wifi coverage, but careful/mindful placement of the main router can help reduce the number of nodes required for a mesh.

Buona fortuna!

AX1100 if you have 1gps internet since the AXE1100 is the same but for newer devices that have Wi-Fi 6E

AX86U or AX86S.