What's new

Plex Server + Asus Router > Outside accessible for 4 seconds only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stansoltz

Occasional Visitor
My Plex Server was fine for about 4 years... then about 6 months, I noticed that I was having issues connecting externally. I have an Asus Rt-N66U with latest firmware. I have 32400 port forwarded to my .106 server address. When I click retry in Plex, it says fully accessible... about 4 seconds pass, then changes to red. (Note the clock in the screenshots... same minute... different message) Any idea what else I could try? I saw someting similar on plex forums but no real solution... btw, my other blueiris on port 55555 works no problem so i think it's plex specific. I've uninstalled, cleaned folders and reg, reinstalled plex, same thing.

Also, I have a wifi dongle and Private Internet Access VPN installed... could be something with Plex moving to a different network adapter?

plex1.jpg
plex2.jpg
plex3.jpg

Also, I have a wifi dongle and Private Internet Access VPN installed...
Either or both of these are likely to be the problem.

I don't know what options you have in your particular firmware, but you would need to make an exception for the Plex server so that it's traffic doesn't go through the VPN.

You'll have to explain how you have your WiFi dongle setup before we can comment on that.

I just disabled all those ethernet adaptors in settings... so just my LAN ethernet on ip .106. same problem. Also, windows firewall is OFF. I also have ZoneAlarm firewall... wonder if something in there is closing the port?

Sorry, I may have misunderstood you. Are the WiFi adaptor and VPN client installed on the router or the Plex server? I was assuming the router.

Pretty sure your issue is related to PIA. See this PIA help doc. There are only some locations that allow port forwarding I believe and if you're using their desktop client you have to enable a switch in the settings.
SAoglU3.jpg