What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

toufiq47

New Around Here
just found out that the new netgear router X10 can host a full functional plex server OMG!!

i already tried plex on my RT-AC 87u and that was a success!!
you can also try it out
https://www.hqt.ro/plex-media-server-through-debian-arm/

my request is @merlin can you compile plex in next package ? pls pls
the router seems to be have 128mb mem ROM so it can play plex easily or you can release only a plex version of this router firmware that will be BOM!!!!!

thanks!

I don't know about fully functional? I think it is limited to 1080p?

In either case, I sure wouldn't want it in any current Asus router by default (I would never use it, neither would my customers), even it the processors were powerful enough to technically 'run' it.

my request is @merlin can you compile plex in next package ? pls pls

That router has 512 MB of flash, and it also has 1 GB of RAM, and comes with a CPU that has video HW decoding. The current Asus router's hardware don't come even close to that, it's like comparing a computer with a router.

Also, only 64 MB is available to the firmware out of 128 MB, and 43 MB is already taken by the current firmware.

That router has 512 MB of flash, and it also has 1 GB of RAM, and comes with a CPU that has video HW decoding. The current Asus router's hardware don't come even close to that, it's like comparing a computer with a router.

Also, only 64 MB is available to the firmware out of 128 MB, and 43 MB is already taken by the current firmware.

Hi thanks for the reply.
I am not expert, but i do manage to run plex [on debian] on my 87u and able to run this to my samsung smart tv [no transcoding required]
problem is, if i ran it only one USB is visible in the SMB system and cant be accessible.
I understood it has only 64mb of ROM but we can install the plex server into USB/ HDD [attached] like download master.
May be i am stupid but i am just seeking dor opportunities.

thanks for your great work. as by this i can ran plex on my router L)

I don't know about fully functional? I think it is limited to 1080p?

In either case, I sure wouldn't want it in any current Asus router by default (I would never use it, neither would my customers), even it the processors were powerful enough to technically 'run' it.
the AC87u can run plex server just fine [without transcoding of course ]

I understood it has only 64mb of ROM but we can install the plex server into USB/ HDD [attached] like download master.

This it outside of the scope of my firmware work. This is more a question for the Entware maintainers then.