What's new

Pls. Help - Revert to Asus Firmware (RT AC3200)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theovercomer

New Around Here
Hello,

I have upgraded my Asus RT AC3200 with an updated Firmware, and then I try to flash it with Merlin RT-AC3200_380.69_0 FW.

I have experiencing constant drops of Wifi connection, sudden disconnecting to the 192.168.1.1 that prompts to limited connectivity and the router keeps rebooting.

I tried many options to reset it to factory default, loading my old settings but unfortunately I still experiencing the instability of the said firmware.

I tried to use the Asus Rescue tool to re-flash to my Asus stock FW, but I have a problem connecting to the router while in recovery mode, even the light slowly flashing, the Asus firmware recovery won't detect it even though I tried all the possible configuration in the ip of the my pc, it won't get through or won't detect the router in recovery mode.

What is my possible solution for this to REVERT to my Asus Stock FW?
Anybody please, I'm desperate and tired.

If the stability issue is still there after a firmware downgrade + factory default reset, then the firmware isn't the cause - it's either something in your environment, or the router itself.

Hello,

I have upgraded my Asus RT AC3200 with an updated Firmware, and then I try to flash it with Merlin RT-AC3200_380.69_0 FW.

I have experiencing constant drops of Wifi connection, sudden disconnecting to the 192.168.1.1 that prompts to limited connectivity and the router keeps rebooting.

I tried many options to reset it to factory default, loading my old settings but unfortunately I still experiencing the instability of the said firmware.

I tried to use the Asus Rescue tool to re-flash to my Asus stock FW, but I have a problem connecting to the router while in recovery mode, even the light slowly flashing, the Asus firmware recovery won't detect it even though I tried all the possible configuration in the ip of the my pc, it won't get through or won't detect the router in recovery mode.

What is my possible solution for this to REVERT to my Asus Stock FW?
Anybody please, I'm desperate and tired.

Did you upgrade to the latest 382 fw and then try to revert back to 380 fw , once you load 382 I think yu are stuck with it , no going back

Did you upgrade to the latest 382 fw and then try to revert back to 380 fw , once you load 382 I think yu are stuck with it , no going back
I was told that on the AC3200 the boot loader changed as well as some partitioning resizing. I was told you cannot revert back to the 380 code set on this model once it has been upgraded to 382 for these reasons.

I did exactly as you did, once in recovery mode leave the router on for about a minute or so then launch the recovery tool. You will need to download the firmware from Asus website. Connect the router via Ethernet.

I would expect 380 firmware to still work, however a factory default reset after flashing would definitely be necessary, as any setting found in the upper half of the nvram would be unnaccessible to the older firmware. I haven't tried it however.

Hi,
Did you ever manage to get this resolved? I also have a RT-AC3200 on the 382 build and would like to run Merlin ASAP for the additional OpenVPN functions. I mistakenly updated to 382 when I put it in yesterday instead of checking :p my fault.
If not does anyone know of the ETA for when Merlin 382.3 will be ready?

If not does anyone know of the ETA for when Merlin 382.3 will be ready?

Won't be for many weeks, I'm not even done with 382.2 yet...

No problem. Thanks for the update :) I'll see what theovercomer says about downgrading but tbf I might just go for downgrading to stock, then apply Merlin 380. Can't see why the downgrade won't work.

Hi,
I can confirm that my 3200 works with Merlin 380, and with the stock 382 firmware. I upgraded, downgraded followed by a factory reset.
In the basics it works, however I had some problems a few days ago, could not reach it anymore, and had to do a factory reset again.

The last two days my 3200 works, but I have decided to "upgrade" to the 86U, Just ordered it. (The 3200 was only a few weeks old, and I can return it to the reseller. :) )

Kind regards,

Rob

Hi,
I can confirm that my 3200 works with Merlin 380, and with the stock 382 firmware. I upgraded, downgraded followed by a factory reset.
In the basics it works, however I had some problems a few days ago, could not reach it anymore, and had to do a factory reset again.

The last two days my 3200 works, but I have decided to "upgrade" to the 86U, Just ordered it. (The 3200 was only a few weeks old, and I can return it to the reseller. :) )

Kind regards,

Rob

Hi Robbie,
Just to confirm you just pushed the 380 Merlin firmware through the gui and not recovery mode, while it was running 382 stock? That's what i was thinking of doing.
Also what issues did you get? Did you reboot, reset, then reboot again after the flash to Merlin?
Did you just flash it back to 382 stock?

Hi Robbie,
Just to confirm you just pushed the 380 Merlin firmware through the gui and not recovery mode, while it was running 382 stock? That's what i was thinking of doing.
Also what issues did you get? Did you reboot, reset, then reboot again after the flash to Merlin?
Did you just flash it back to 382 stock?
Hi,
I upgraded via recovery mode, and did a factory reset after that. Also "went back" to test some things, 380 merlin to 382, that also worked fine.
It happened two times, that I could not reach the router anymore, and I had to do a factory reset again. Could be because of me testing with openVPN and Wifi, I am not sure. The easiest way for me at that point was to do a factory reset.

Hi,
I upgraded via recovery mode, and did a factory reset after that. Also "went back" to test some things, 380 merlin to 382, that also worked fine.
It happened two times, that I could not reach the router anymore, and I had to do a factory reset again. Could be because of me testing with openVPN and Wifi, I am not sure. The easiest way for me at that point was to do a factory reset.

Thanks Robbie
That's great. I'll give it a go in the next few days and post back with the outcome.

I would expect 380 firmware to still work, however a factory default reset after flashing would definitely be necessary, as any setting found in the upper half of the nvram would be unnaccessible to the older firmware. I haven't tried it however.
Hate to be a bother , but which settings would be accessible ?

Hate to be a bother , but which settings would be accessible ?

There's no way of knowing. It's like asking in a Windows install which files are in the first 1 GB of your HDD and which are in the second GB of it.

You simply MUST do a factory default reset after downgrading firmware.