1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Plug Your Wi-Fi Holes With A Powerline Network

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Aug 9, 2016.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

sm00thpapa and Julio Urquidi like this.
  2. NSNE

NSNE Occasional Visitor

Clippy? Is that you?

lo pro joe likes this.
  3. pete y testing

pete y testing Very Senior Member

nice write up , however i would suggest you mention the conditions and limitations of the hardware as its not the panacea for every situation

pete

4. designmule

designmule Occasional Visitor

I wish we would see more powerline adapters with Wifi built in. And for me personally, I'd like an outdoor model.
    Earlier this year I needed to extend my wifi to the back yard. I was able to do so with an older d-link powerline adapter with an AP built in which is in my garage. The one box solution is great.

5. lo pro joe

lo pro joe Occasional Visitor

Between the hills, the river and the sage brush
    I'm rather disappointed that TrendNet doesn't have a system whereby their router would be Powerline enabled without additional accessories, and that the PowerLine adapters with Wi-Fi built-in could basically construct a Wi-Fi mesh on their own, where the Powerline Wi-Fi adapters would be synchronized with the primary AP / router. That would a) simplify setup; b) simplify management; c) avoid Wi-Fi for backhaul and the need to pull CAT5 / CAT6 for backhaul.

6. System Error Message

System Error Message Part of the Furniture

powerline with wifi adapters built in arent a great idea. Sometimes its better to compartmentalise which is why desktops still come with slots rather than everything embedded, Even many laptops still allow you to change ram, drives,cards and even batteries as only some solder everything onto the board. Compartmentalising increases lifespan (less waste) and means less things to go wrong. Powerline adapters with wifi dont do as well as those without any wifi or switch.