What's new

PoE+ access point for class rooms

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Krisbi

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I’m looking for capable WiFi access Points which could handle huge amount of concurrent connected clients without any problems. So imagine the following situation:

1,5 hours of a tutorial for students
  • class rooms with 50 students (50 to 100 connected clients), i.e. 50 laptops, up to 50 Smartphones
  • The students work with Eclipse. They check in and repositories constantly
  • The lecturer points them to new files, which they should download immediately after they were told to do so.
  • 1 or 2 students downloads always download some seasons from Netflix...
  • Everybody surfs the internet inbetween.
Imagine a campus building with a lot of those rooms side by side. Available non-overlapping channels per room:
  • Maximum 1x 2.4GHz channel
  • 1x 20 or 1x 40 MHz 5.0GHz channel
Also we have one single SSID with dynamic VLAN assignments by RADIUS. So traffic should be locally tagged accordingly.

I personally like the Engenius EWS377AP, but there´s no review of it. Also I cannot find anything about dynamic VLAN assignment anywhere mentioned. Next access point would be a HPE/Aruba 535 which would be 2,5 times the price of an EWS377AP, probably with much better software but strange ecosystem (licenses everwhere...) Ubiquiti UAP-AC-SHD or UAP-XG would be an option, too. But there´s hardly any real benchmark which is not paid by Ubiquiti. GrandstreamGWN7630 is 4x4 802.11ax, is cheap, but would I really like to buy "Grandstream" access points...? Ruckus R720/R730 with onboard controller, but those are damn expensive.

Last edited:
The Cisco small business switches have dynamic VLAN support. At least the SG300 and SG500 switches do. I bet the Cisco small business wireless APs will support what you are talking about as the wireless APs support RADIUS. With that said, what you are trying to do you may be better off with Cisco pro gear.

I just happen to come across settings for dynamic VLAN support on the Cisco SG300-28 switches. I have not run this code but here it is. It looks interesting. If I come across an easy way to run RADIUS with my server farm turned off I might try it at home. I could run my network this way.

vlan database
vlan 10-19,1234
exit

dot1x system-auth-control
radius-server host 192.168.1.10 priority 20 usage dot1.x
radius-server host source-interface vlan 1
radius-server deadtime 10
aaa accounting dot1x start-stop group radius
!
interface vlan 18
name "VLAN 18"
dot1x guest-vlan
!
interface vlan 1234
name "Fake VLAN to be U on port"
!
interface gigabitethernet3
dot1x guest-vlan enable
dot1x reauthentication
dot1x radius-attributes vlan static
dot1x port-control auto
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 1234

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!