What's new

POE+ switch recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddaenen1

Very Senior Member
I am running a Netgear GS724Tv3 which has been very solid and easy to configure but to execute my plan to introduce WAP571 AP's to replace the consumer routers that are now functioning as AP i need a switch that supports POE+. I have been looking for a 2nd hand Netgear GS728TP which would do the trick but would also consider other business switches such as Cisco, as long as they have at least 24 ports, SPF(+) and POE+ and are equally easy to configure as the Netgear.

Any recommendations?

how many POE + ports do you need ?
If only a few, it may be cheaper and simpler to just add external power injectors. As with any POE system, make sure the injector provides more than enough power at the right voltage for the consumer.

how many POE + ports do you need ?
If only a few, it may be cheaper and simpler to just add external power injectors. As with any POE system, make sure the injector provides more than enough power at the right voltage for the consumer.

Currently, it would be only 3 but if i do spend the money, i want to also consider adding 2 cameras in the future so that would make it 5. Another reason i would rather want POE+ integrated in the switch is to get rid of some cables and external power supplies from the current AP's.

Currently looking at a Cisco SG300-28P. Seems that this one has all i am looking for and would be a worthy replacement for the GS724Tv3.

i managed to grab ahold of a much older gigabit cisco POE switch, though you would have to master the older cisco CLI to configure it, though i got it for the equivalent of $50. If i remember its a 48 port switch with 4 SFP ports and POE.

i managed to grab ahold of a much older gigabit cisco POE switch, though you would have to master the older cisco CLI to configure it, though i got it for the equivalent of $50. If i remember its a 48 port switch with 4 SFP ports and POE.

Well, eventually i dropped the SG300-28P and i bought a Netgear GS752TP at a very good price today (the guy only sold it because of the noise, which is not an issue for me since my server rack is in the basement) which has 48 POE ports of which 8 are POE+ which should be fairly future-proof. Reason i chose the Netgear is because i am very happy with my current Netgear and i know the GUI so it will be easy to configure and replace. Secondly, i current have 4 ports left out of 24 on my current switch and had an unmanaged spare 24P switch in case i needed more which would have been an issue if i want to start configuring VLAN's and now is not necessary anymore as i don't anticipate i will ever need more than 48 ports in the house.

For SOHO switching, my base-minimum is Cisco SG or HPE OfficeConnect.

Otherwise, HPE ProCurve/Aruba or Juniper. Occasionally refurb/used Cisco, depending on if licensing is needed.

For SOHO switching, my base-minimum is Cisco SG or HPE OfficeConnect.

Otherwise, HPE ProCurve/Aruba or Juniper. Occasionally refurb/used Cisco, depending on if licensing is needed.

Well, i bought the Netgear now. What would the Cisco give me more than the Netgear? Is it something specific or just general reliability?

Apologies, was going to preface the post with "I know you've already bought, and I think what you have will work well enough, but I also prefer ___".

Yeah, general reliability. True enterprise-grade, trickle-down engineering influence. Historically performs better in a mixed-vendor environment, but I'm thinking (hoping?) Netgear has ironed out any of those kinks in the last couple generations. I would presume they have. More than likely, you'll be more than fine with your purchase.

Apologies, was going to preface the post with "I know you've already bought, and I think what you have will work well enough, but I also prefer ___".

Yeah, general reliability. True enterprise-grade, trickle-down engineering influence. Historically performs better in a mixed-vendor environment, but I'm thinking (hoping?) Netgear has ironed out any of those kinks in the last couple generations. I would presume they have. More than likely, you'll be more than fine with your purchase.

I did install the GS752TP in the mean time and it went flawless, e.g. everything still works the same it did before :)

Over the weekend, i am hoping to hook up a GS105PE switch that will be powered by one of the POE+ ports of the GS752TP. The GS105PE has passthrough POE which will eventually feed the first WAP571. This should work perfectly as the GS105PE can provide 19 Watts and the WAP571's peak consumption is 18 watts although according to the specs, it should also run fine on POE 15.3 Watts as it has something called "smart-POE". To be continued.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online