What's new

Policy based routing - speed of non-VPN connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bumpengrinder

Regular Contributor
Hi

I'm just thinking about the best way to implement VPN for specific clients only on my home network.

I have an RT-N66U (with latest AsusWRT-Merlin firmware). I understand that using VPN on this router will considerably slow down download speeds due to processing requirements for VPN encryption.

The question - if I use policy based routing, will the clients that are not sent through the VPN also have a slow connection as a consequence of processing resources being focused on VPN activity, or will those connections side-step this and be fine?

I'm not too worried about download speeds for the VPN clients, but would not like the router to bottleneck the whole shebang.

Thanks!

It will depend on the speed of your Internet connection, and whether or not you use any feature that causes hardware acceleration to be disabled. The RT-N66U has a single core CPU, so while something is transferring at full speed through the VPN, the CPU usage will be high and it might impact other users as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!