Poll: are you using Asus Instant Guard?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Are you using Asus Instant Guard?

• Yes I am using it and am happy with it :)

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I tried it, but not much more than that :/

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No, I have a different setup <3

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I haven't even heard of it :(

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I have tried it but having issues

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

torstein

Occasional Visitor
I tried searching the forum about instant guard due to a 1 hour time-out issue I am experiencing (which might actually be intentional as it seems), but found very little info here.

So how many people here are using it? Have tried it? Or never heard of it?

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
I tried searching the forum about instant guard due to a 1 hour time-out issue I am experiencing (which might actually be intentional as it seems), but found very little info here.

So how many people here are using it? Have tried it? Or never heard of it?

What is it and how should I use it?

OE

torstein

Occasional Visitor
What is it and how should I use it?

OE
It’s a VPN client for iOS and Android from Asus which uses your own Asus router (most AX and some high-end AC routers such as AC86U and AC88U i believe) as a VPN server, so you can have a safe VPN tunnel from your smartphone whenever you are on a public wifi. It's free of charge since its your own server. Easy to set up and use too. just a simple app with a big “connect” button. It uses strongswan.org implementation of IPSec/IKEv2 but seems to have an intentional disconnect after 60 minutes (i assume it’s to save smartphone battery)

https://www.asus.com/content/Instant-Guard/

Last edited:

Gar

Very Senior Member
Link dead, but I have never heard of it.

Maybe the app is required first.

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Last edited:

torstein

Occasional Visitor
Hmmm, interesting about «always on vpn», except its only for android. ios doesnt have this option, yet for some reason 3rd party VPNs like mullvad and nordvpn allows always on through ipsec protocol.

so how can apps like nordvpn have always-on vpn on iOS but not Instant guard?

nikr

Regular Contributor
Reason I've not tried it yet, is because its for mobile devices only. I would rather have one solution which works for all my devices, phones and laptops.

chongnt

Regular Contributor
I tried it. It seems I have to get it connected first while I'm at home via wifi before I am able to connect again when I'm away using mobile data. I have to redo this every time after the router rebooted. Is this the feature?
Compared to openvpn, I can get connected even after router rebooted.