What's new

Poor 2.4GHz speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kram66

Occasional Visitor
I have had my RT-AC68U for a number of years and over the last few months the speed of my 2.4GHz WIFI network suffers from slow speeds. I’m running the latest Merlin firmware 386.2_2.

The 5GHz gets approx 55.5Mbps down and 14.9 up and my Unifi hotspot gets around the same speeds, but my ASUS 2.4GHz only gets 19.6Mbps down and 3.3 up.

The settings are mostly defaults, just wondering what I need to be checking to see why the internal connection is slow. Any advice?

What has changed on your network over that time ?

Was this a sudden change or has it always been this way and you just noticed the difference ?

Were you testing with the same client device ?

Is the Unifi device also providing 2.4 GHz signal ?

Lot's of reasons 2.4GHz could be slower. 5GHz can generally be faster but it doesn't go as far. More congestion/interference from neighbors on the 2.4 GHz band can be an issue. Power brick to the Asus could be failing, Asus getting hot, etc. Client testing device could be having issues on the 2.4 GHz band, etc.