What's new

Poor Android tablet wifi performance.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dt99uk

Occasional Visitor
I have been testing wifi performance on my N66U;

Desktop PC via ethernet cable 125mb down / 11mb up
Laptop via 5G wifi 125mb down / 11mb up - very impressed with this.
HTC One X Android Smartphone 2G wifi 36mb down / 8mb up - Not bad I guess for a phone.
Acer A500 Android tablet 2G wifi 5mb down / 4mb up - Mega poor!

The above figures are averages over 5 tests to www.speedtest.net and all tested at the same physical location.

I am happy with the performance of the laptop and can live with the smartphone but why is the tablet so poor? Is there anything I can configure within the router to improve the tablet performance or is the tablet wifi just rubbish.

David

Acer A500 Android tablet 2G wifi 5mb down / 4mb up - Mega poor!
Hi David,

First I would really like to know for what reason (use case) you need more then 5 MBit / 4 MBit WLAN on the Acer device??? :eek:

Secound: Did you upgrade your device to the latest Android version? A quick search on Google showed that you are not alone with the WLAN bad performance... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Have you tried changing the Wireless Control Channel for your 2.4GHz frequency?

Common channels to try are 1, 6, or 11 since they do not overlap.

Manually try one of these channels and see if your performance increases.

Turn off all the power-saving options in Wifi > Advanced on your Android device. It makes Wifi a mess, especially with some routers.

If that doesn't work, maybe you need to buy a tablet with a better Wifi chipset.