What's new

poor moca performance - any ideas?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eweber1969

New Around Here
Hello to the group. :D

Prior to purchasing 2 moca adapters (Actiontec ECB2200) my client pc was connected to a windows home server via a wired router over ethernet. The 2 pc's (both with onboard lan) and the router are all gigabit. Using a freeware app called Lan Speed Test I was writing and reading a 100MB file to the server at 131 Mbps (write) and 517 Mbps (read). After replacing the ethernet with moca adapters my speeds dropped to 58 Mbps (write) and 31 Mbps (read). That test was done in 2 adjoining upstairs bedrooms (orange country burb house built in 2000).

In a different test I put the cable modem, router, and moca adapter downstairs while the client PC stayed upstairs (server was not connected at all). From the client I tried browsing the web and it was unusable. Web pages took minutes to come up.

Today I opened that white paneled secret compartment on the side of the house labeled "Television". I've attached an image (outside_diagram.jpg) of the devices I found. I've also attached an image of my setup in the "server room".

Here are some specs from the Actiontec website...

• Link Conditions
Min Attenuation (> 250 Mbps): 10 dB min
Max Attenuation (> 250 Mbps): 50 dB max
Max Attenuation (>30 Mbps): 68 dB max

• Max Physical Data Rate
Up to 270 Mbps

• Coax Application Data Rate
Up to 175 Mbps bi-directional combined

While I understand that gigabit isn't really gigabit and 270 Mbps isn't really 270, I'd be fine with anything around 100 Mbps.

Does anyone have any ideas, or see any problems with the setup? I'm secretly hoping that it will be as simple as replacing all the 5-1000 MHz splitters with better ones.

Thank you very much for your ideas and feedback!

Eric

Attachments

• moca_diagram.jpg
    moca_diagram.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 573
  • outside_diagram.jpg
    outside_diagram.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 346
My tests of MoCA adpaters showed around 70 Mbps maximum throughput for a single data connection and up to 130 - 140 Mbps total for multiple connections.

To test maximum throughput, use the same computers and test program and just connect the two MoCA adapters with a short coax cable.

D-Link MoCA pair I recently purchased seem to do about the same 70Mbps or so. Being a standard, I'd think that with a proper signal strength and so on, the speed should be the same on all of them - they're layer 2 devices, I presume, and are IP-unaware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!