What's new

Port 113 closed but not stealthed - should I be concerned?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
My new ISP, Zen Internet, has provided me with a FRITZ!Box 7530 AX router for their full fibre 900 service, which I signed up to in March. Also, unlike many other non-business internet services, I have a fixed IP address, which would make setting up a VPN server less complicated once the router manufacturer has upgraded the firmware to make wireshark an option.

I have run a security test on GRC ShieldsUP! and it shows all ports stealthed, except for port 113, which is visible, but closed:

GRC Ports Scan Result.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any way to change this port to stealth mode, so is this something that I should be concerned about and if so, what would you suggest I do about it?

My new ISP, Zen Internet, has provided me with a FRITZ!Box 7530 AX router for their full fibre 900 service, which I signed up to in March. Also, unlike many other non-business internet services, I have a fixed IP address, which would make setting up a VPN server less complicated once the router manufacturer has upgraded the firmware to make wireshark an option.

I have run a security test on GRC ShieldsUP! and it shows all ports stealthed, except for port 113, which is visible, but closed:

View attachment 49187

There doesn't seem to be any way to change this port to stealth mode, so is this something that I should be concerned about and if so, what would you suggest I do about it?
I found this….

I found this….

I'm confused after reading the article on your link. It seems to suggest that as long as port 113 is closed, there shouldn't be problem, but that begs two questions in my mind; Why is it flagged as a warning at ShieldsUP! and why do ASUS routers stealth this port if, as the above article suggests, doing so can cause other problems?

Why is it flagged as a warning at ShieldsUP!

Because the site owner likes to worry people to death with his often erroneous ideas .
His contention is that stealthing all ports makes your system more secure than having ports closed.
Any decent hacker can see your IP and Mac addresses, he knows you are there especially as he can scan you and get back empty packets. Closed ports can be seen but not opened .

You don't need to worry about it.

Because the site owner likes to worry people to death with his often erroneous ideas .
His contention is that stealthing all ports makes your system more secure than having ports closed.
Any decent hacker can see your IP and Mac addresses, he knows you are there especially as he can scan you and get back empty packets. Closed ports can be seen but not opened .

You don't need to worry about it.
Oh, that's good to know. Thank you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!