What's new

port 80 for VPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
Hi guys I have been having trouble streaming via my Asus rt ac 88 u and express VPN,especially amazon,it usually times out but if I just leave it on the,,connection error page,,it usually will eventually connect. It has been suggested to me to try remote port 80 or 443 but i am rather a newbie when it comes to advanced features /settings on my router so help please. I am currently running it on Merlin firmware 384.11.2 thanks rgds Roy Ps ok I have been informed that ports 80 and 443 are already open or else I would not be able to get any website at all so I am not sure what was meant by remote port 80 or 443 ? If anyone can shed any light on what was meant by the suggestion it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Hi guys I have been having trouble streaming via my Asus rt ac 88 u and express VPN,especially amazon,it usually times out but if I just leave it on the,,connection error page,,it usually will eventually connect. It has been suggested to me to try remote port 80 or 443 but i am rather a newbie when it comes to advanced features /settings on my router so help please. I am currently running it on Merlin firmware 384.11.2 thanks rgds Roy Ps ok I have been informed that ports 80 and 443 are already open or else I would not be able to get any website at all so I am not sure what was meant by remote port 80 or 443 ? If anyone can shed any light on what was meant by the suggestion it would be greatly appreciated
I believe Express VPN is using similar method to Smart DNS. You have to set Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive on the OpenVPN Client Screen to force all clients assigned to the tunnel to use DNS specified by Express VPN.

Hi. Your question is about the difference between Local port forward vs Remote port forwarding right? If it is, then this is what I know:

Local port forwarding generates an outgoing tunnel that can be used to take to the local device a government internet computer. A local user can access a remote host: port combination on a local host because on the remote hand the specified port on the local client host is forwarded to the specified host and port on the remote side.

Remote port forwarding creates an incoming tunnel which can be used to bring a local computer into the public internet. An internet user can access a certain local host:port combination on a remote host. The given port on the remote (server) host is forwarded to the given host and port on the local side.
Ok cool thanks that knowledge I am still not sure at what was referred to by"" try port 80 or 443"" but thanks for your info on port forwarding.I have often wondered what port forwarding is used for

I am still not sure at what was referred to by"" try port 80 or 443""
When you first set up your VPN client you would have imported a config file that you downloaded from your VPN provider. Usually the default protocol and port number used is UDP 1194. You can see this on the router's VPN Client page.

Some people have problems connecting over UDP/1194 therefore the VPN providers usually offer alternative config files that use TCP and ports 80 or 443 instead. This is what they mean when they say "try ports 80 or 443". If they don't have specific config files to download for these ports just try changing it on the router's VPN Client page.

When you first set up your VPN client you would have imported a config file that you downloaded from your VPN provider. Usually the default protocol and port number used is UDP 1194. You can see this on the router's VPN Client page.

Some people have problems connecting over UDP/1194 therefore the VPN providers usually offer alternative config files that use TCP and ports 80 or 443 instead. This is what they mean when they say "try ports 80 or 443". If they don't have specific config files to download for these ports just try changing it on the router's VPN Client page.
Ok thanks for clearing that up.I will check it out

The UDP protocol port is 1195 so I am assuming that it is the port express VPN use or do I need to change it to 1194

The UDP protocol port is 1195 so I am assuming that it is the port express VPN use or do I need to change it to 1194
If it works then I guess it must be correct. I can't say for sure because I'm not an ExpressVPN customer and you need to be to download their config files.

You really need to check what port(s) a particular VPN provider supports. There doesn't seem to be any standard for commercial VPN providers.

Astrill only supports Port 8292

PIA's primary Port is 1198, however with the right configuration file they offer ten other options. Each port offers different encryption and compression options some of which are not supported when using Merlin's firmware.

Thanks guys express VPN must use 1195 as their port because as you say if it works it must be right thanks again guys