What's new

port blocking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

senderj

New Around Here
I am trying to set up an ip cam at my parents' home for elderly surveillance from my office. But I found that my ISP has blocked port 80, and the company I work for has blocked all ports except 80. Is there any way I can get through this kind of blocking??

Check your camera's administration interface. There is usually a setting that lets you change the port. You can try 8080, but it is commonly used and may also be blocked by your ISP. So keep trying until you find a port above 6500 that isn't blocked.

Thanks for the reply.

My problem is not just ISP blocking. They only block 4 ports. I can use others in my ip cam without problem. But I plan to view the cam from my office, which blocked ALL ports except 80. Blocking on both sides and without a commonly opened port made me post my problem here.

Is there a way that make my ISP believe that I am using 8080 while, at the same time, my network admin believe that I am using 80? Must in-bound and out-bound traffic use the same port?

It is extremely unlikely your company blocks TCP 443 (https). Not sure about your ISP though.

No. The camera can be set to only one port at a time.

If you have a PC where the webcam is, you could use GoToMyPC to access a computer that is connected to the camera. Actually, then you wouldn't even need an IP camera. A USB webcam connected to the computer would do.