What's new

Port Forwarding Not Working - AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sbsolarski

New Around Here
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'm stumped and I need your help!.

I've been trying to host a dedicated server for Valheim – I've followed the linked instructions precisely. I have no issues in setting up and running the server from any of my local computers (I have 2 PC's, one that I use as a daily driver and a HTPC). To be clear I can connect to the server from any other computer on my Local Area Network. I also have no issues hosting a normal Valheim game (non-dedicated type).

My issue is that I cannot manage to host the server on the internet and get someone outside my LAN to connect (tried this using a laptop hot spotted to my phone) – because it seems my ports are not being opened or so it seems, the ports in question are 2456, 2457 and 2458 (needed to host a Valheim dedicated server).

MY SETUP

Router: DSL-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
NBN (NBN is Australia's national broadband network) Device: ARRIS CM8200
NBN Connection: HFC
NBN Provider: Aussie Broadband

The HFC coax cable runs to the ARRIS CM8200, from there an Ethernet cable runs from the ARRIS CM8200 to the DSL-AC68U, and from the DSL-AC68U I'm running Ethernet to both my PC's. I got the AC68U configured so that its LAN Port 4 is a WAN Port. Here are a few pictures of the setup.

ROUTER SETTINGS

For the sake of this thread the computer that hosts the server has the private IP 192.168.1.172. I use the following settings on my Router (DSL-AC68U).

Port Forwarding

I have forwarded ports 2456, 2457 and 2458 (TCP & UDP) aimed toward 192.168.1.172. Refer to the image below.

General Settings

Refer to the image below.

Firewall Settings

I have disabled the firewall on my router. Refer to the image below.

WINDOWS DIAGNOSTICS

To be clear I have allowed Valheim and Valheim Dedicated Server on my windows firewall.

I have my copy of ipconfig /all below.

I also have my netstat -a -n before and after hosting, in the 2nd image you can see the underlined server operating under port 2457.

Not Hosting

https://imgur.com/a/okvieu3

During Hosting

https://imgur.com/a/NyGUOjc

ISSUE

As noted above I cannot connect to my Valheim dedicated server from the internet, in addition when I use websites like https://www.canyouseeme.org/ I get errors and it fails to see the open port. It is incredibly frustrating.

I would really appreciate someones help, I'm not network savvy at all.

Hi eibgrad! thank you so much for your reply. CGNAT was the culprit, I opted out of it with my provider and now I can host my server.