1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Port forwarding through VPN

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by DWW, Jun 19, 2018.

1. DWW

DWW New Around Here

Hi All,

First things first, I am a noob so trying to get my head around some of the language, so please forgive me if my semantics aren't correct, but hopefully my intent is.

I'm wanting to open up some access to a computer on my network (I understand this is done with port forwarding and have been able to establish a limited set of ports to use).

I'd like to make it slightly more secure than just opening up ports to anyone and am curious if it is possible to limit the forwarding of ports to users who are connected to the routers VPN server. That is to say, if I am not connected to the openVPN server that I've setup on my AC68U then I won't be able to access the ports I have opened up to forward to the machine on my network.

firmware version is 384.5

Thanks in advance for the guidance.
    DWW

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

If you are connecting to your router's VPN server then you don't need any port forwarding at all. This is in fact a more secure setup than port forwarding.

4. DWW

DWW New Around Here

So if I connect via my routers vpn server should I just be able to connect to the appropriate IP address like I am within the network?

5. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

Yep. That’s the whole point of VPN.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!