What's new

Port forwarding through VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DWW

New Around Here
Hi All,

First things first, I am a noob so trying to get my head around some of the language, so please forgive me if my semantics aren't correct, but hopefully my intent is.

I'm wanting to open up some access to a computer on my network (I understand this is done with port forwarding and have been able to establish a limited set of ports to use).

I'd like to make it slightly more secure than just opening up ports to anyone and am curious if it is possible to limit the forwarding of ports to users who are connected to the routers VPN server. That is to say, if I am not connected to the openVPN server that I've setup on my AC68U then I won't be able to access the ports I have opened up to forward to the machine on my network.

firmware version is 384.5

Thanks in advance for the guidance.
DWW

If you are connecting to your router's VPN server then you don't need any port forwarding at all. This is in fact a more secure setup than port forwarding.

If you are connecting to your router's VPN server then you don't need any port forwarding at all. This is in fact a more secure setup than port forwarding.
So if I connect via my routers vpn server should I just be able to connect to the appropriate IP address like I am within the network?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!