What's new

Port Forwarding via Terminal on ASUS RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blacksheep

Occasional Visitor
Running Merlin firmware v384.10 on an ASUS RT-AC3200.
I have never had an issue with this before and I've been running this firmware for some time.

TL;DR: Can I manage port forwarding via the routers' ssh terminal?

I added a new computer to my network.

I installed plex media server and successfully updated port forwarding for Plex in the AC3200 Virtual Server/Port Forwarding Tab GUI (inside the WAN tab).
I also have installed Apache to serve my web pages but the Virtual Server/Port Forwarding GUI fails to update or delete that port forwarding assignment.

I am connected to the router through a SSH connection.
I was hoping there was a command I can run in the terminal of the router and adjust that obsolete port forwarding assignment.

I need to remove 192.168.1.143 forwarding to port 80
I need to add 192.168.1.92 to forward to port 80

I found nat_rules_eth0_eth0 and redirect_rules inside the tmp folder but I don't know if that is where I need to make the adjustment AND whether that change will stick through a reboot.
I tried to change those but the change is not reflected in the GUI.

Last edited:
** update** Thank you. It seems I was out of space. I cleared a log file and it gave me enough room. Perhaps this is why my firmware updates are also failing. Should my /dev/root/ be 100%? I've never noticed that before. Is it normal?

Here are my memory and nvram readings:
Memory: Free: 34.97 MB
NVRAM usage 62203 / 131072 bytes

I notice /dev/root seems full. How can I do housekeeping without blowing it away?

Also df command yielded:
Code:
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                32512     32512         0 100% /
devtmpfs                127576         0    127576   0% /dev
tmpfs                   127716      2796    124920   2% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4           65536      5308     60228   8% /jffs

Last edited:
What does this show? Does it contain any invalid characters?
Code:
nvram get vts_rulelist

I have 22 short and simple entries.
For example: <piPLEX>32400>192.168.1.91>32400>BOTH>

I have 4 raspberry pi's, and they all do different stuff and require their respective ports to communicate with the outside world and with each other. There are no invalid characters, though.

** update** Thank you. It seems I was out of space. I cleared a log file and it gave me enough room. Perhaps this is why my firmware updates are also failing. Should my /dev/root/ be 100%? I've never noticed that before. Is it normal?
/dev/root is normally 100% full because it's ROM. Everything else looks OK also.

It's quite possible that there wasn't enough free memory to update the firmware. Ejecting any USB drives and rebooting the router usually frees up enough memory to perform a firmware update.

I can't think why any of that would effect your port forwarding rules though, unless there are so many that you've hit some kind on limit on the length of the nvram variable. EDIT: It looks like the limit on that variable is 8192 characters, so I guess it's not that then.

I checked and I have 901 characters including spaces. My port forwarding is working now. I'll try a firmware upgrade tonight. Wish me luck!! Thank you again for your attention and help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!