What's new

Port Forwarding with VPN client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DerRobinson

Occasional Visitor
Hello together,

new member, a bit complicated question - at least for me :D

Background
- N66U placed in China
- Firmware: merlin 372.30_2
- OpenVPN of StrongVPN
- DS213 as NAS
- DDNS: No-IP

My router runs fine most of the time. I have the OpenVPN client configured, so that all devices in my LAN are no longer restricted to the Great Chinese Firewall - works also very fine. But now it becomes complicated.

My router registers the IP of the Chinese provider at No-IP (IP-CN). My NAS with its own DDNS client of cause registers the IP of the VPN (IP-VPN). To have access to some functions on my NAS I forwarded several ports to the LAN-IP of my NAS. But here I get problems as soon as the VPN is running, I have no access to the LAN neither using the IP-CN nor IP-VPN.

For what WAN - the IP-CN or the IP-VPN - does the router forward the ports?

Best regards
DerRobinson

Last edited:
Hi together,

quite a lot of viewer but no answer yet - seems to be a good question.

I thing, the port forwarding works for the IP-WAN only. So there are two possibilities
- bring the client in software structure in the place of the WAN interface (maybe longterm solution)
- change the routing.

Regarding the second: I think, every request via IP-WAN comes to my NAS, but since this now answers via IP-VPN (VPN-client: Redirect Internet traffic = yes), the communication is not build up.

How would a routing have to look like, that all communication in my LAN stays untouched, the internet traffic of all devices goes via VPN but only the interet traffic of the NAS is routet via WAN? Btw, the NAS has of cause fix IP outside DHCP-range.

Best regards,
DerRobinson

... and I am not alone: Can't access my camera from outside once VPN activates
Exclude one device from VPN, and QOS for guest net
Disable some clients on VPN

Last edited: